185 Deg Thermostat?

evilplan

Reaction score
I have heard rummors th IH makes a 185 deg themostat for our trucks but cant find a part number......any one out there have a number or even beter have an extra one?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I dont know about IH, but go to summit and find a Robertshaw design 185 deg stat and they are identical aside from the rubber seal ring which really isnt needed, you get better flow without it. I run a 185 high flow robertshaw stat in mine

Black dawg

Reaction score
I dont know about IH, but go to summit and find a Robertshaw design 185 deg stat and they are identical aside from the rubber seal ring which really isnt needed, you get better flow without it. I run a 185 high flow robertshaw stat in mine

What he said and also go to the chevy dealer for a 97 k2500 6.5 stat, it will be 180 deg. This 6.5 stat is just the high flow robertshaw design, so it will fit and function perfectly. Last one I got was 12 bucks.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ya im pretty sure IH don't have em, I have looked. They just stock the 192 just like the Motorcraft. I buy the Motorcraft. I always thought a 185 t-stat would be good, but the more I think about it; the more I think the 192 would make the enigne run more effecient.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT USE A LOW TEMP T-STAT!
I tied one and the engine would not get warm in the winter. I also didnt notice any inprovements over the factory one. I now have an OEM T-stat installed

evilplan

Reaction score
Take into account I live in so cal so winter is only something I have read about, but I am driving through the desert all the time where temps are regularly 115+

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
why would you want to lower operating temps? i mean, to a certain extent the warmer these things run the more efficient they are. fuel and power wise.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
is a t-stat that STARTS to open ~5* sooner really gonna make a difference when pulling in those conditions? they are not fully open until ~210-212* regardless.

not trying to start anything, just wondering.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because towing and pulling steep grades is tough on a cooling system when its 115-120 out

Aw come on, ain't no steep hills in Lake Elsinore where my Daughter lives, unless your going over on 74 to Laguna Beach where all the hot girls are, :D Oh and my Grand Daughter :angel: lives there, she's hot, but married. :D

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the outside temperature is 115 degrees and you are pulling a heavy load in the desert, a lower thermostat will not help one bit. You will be at the same engine temperature with a 192 degree thermostat or a 180 degree thermostat. Engine temps will probably be in the 230 degree range in those conditions. This is because both a 180 and 192 degree thermostat will be wide open and pushing lots of coolant thru the engine in attempts to keep it cooler. I would focus on the fan clutch, excellent coolant quality and cleanliness, and water pump that is working properly. These things will help when towing, not a thermostat.......that is, of course, making sure you are running a diesel thermostat and not a gas one!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Just figured every little bit helps!
true

If the outside temperature is 115 degrees and you are pulling a heavy load in the desert, a lower thermostat will not help one bit. You will be at the same engine temperature with a 192 degree thermostat or a 180 degree thermostat. Engine temps will probably be in the 230 degree range in those conditions. This is because both a 180 and 192 degree thermostat will be wide open and pushing lots of coolant thru the engine in attempts to keep it cooler. I would focus on the fan clutch, excellent coolant quality and cleanliness, and water pump that is working properly. These things will help when towing, not a thermostat.......that is, of course, making sure you are running a diesel thermostat and not a gas one!

that is what i was thinking.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Bigger, better radiator (more rows) will help a lot, there are the aluminum ones from ebay that are priced fair and do the job just watch the shipping package. Also a good running fan clutch will do wonders when pulling heavy in hot weather. Have You done the coolant filter? That is a must in this engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online