$1.40 per litre for Diesel....WMO.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Couldn't test it, too dark for a particle count. If the light can't see through it it can't be tested for PC....They are going to test my next batch as if it was engine oil...He said if it has fuel in it then the test results can be bogus.

Last edited:

watercat

Reaction score
Anyone else notice power loss while towing? Kinda important being that my truck lives with a trailer behind it.

A theory I'm working on for this power loss as i have had it myself when running the stock fuel pump and when it was cold out.

I can tell you that wmo heated up in a svo system like i'm running yeilds the same gph any where you can lock the cruise control on a set speed.

I just finished my fuel steering pump fuel pump last night and ran it about 50 miles and it was snowing at 36 f. at this temp normally i would have to switch to diesel on some steep hills out here in the mountains going to my house. with the new pump on i had full power and could lock the cruise on under any speeed i wished and she was very happy. So my theory is that as you increase the wmo percentage (I run 100% only) you run a loss of power under high loads but as the outside temp increases tghis goes away. last summer i was running 100% wmo in the summer and mid day after my tank had time to really saturate with some btu's i was experinceing nearly perfect driving conditions. also I have no turbo on yet so i was really seeing it. so what you need to do is build a fuel pump. I would tel you to take the return line offf under load and run it to say a bucket or tank in the bed or even a clear fuel line through the cab then into a vw style fuel fileter so you can see at what load you run out of fuel. but donbt waist your time with this if it doesnt fell like its putting out full power its not getting enough fuel. i spent way to much time testing for what i new was the case.

As far as gray smoke verses black smoke. at least on the non turbo i'm seeing grey stinky smoke say getting on the free way when there is a low fuel volume propblem. I find if i back out of the throttle untill the engine has enough fuel to build full power for that throttle setting the smoke would mostly or almost go away completly. tghis tell me that the pump is starving for the ability to get a full load of fuel per injector pulse. When i have full fuel volume to run the engine on the same on ramp i am seeing black smoke that were all familair with. so as the temps have switched from extreme cold to moderate the one thing that is constant is the grey and black smoke. so grey is you not enough fuel volume and black is your getting enough volume.

you guys need to forget about fuel pressure its all about volume not pressure. do yourself a favor and as far as diesel fuel systems go with wmo or vo only worry about the return volume to the tank from the return line. you need to see at least a few drops of fuel running out the return line to know that the IP is had all the fuel it needed for that throttle setting. technicaly wmo has more BTU than diesle so as i work past these issues I'm expecting to see a mpg change or at least a rpm change of something on cruise at a set speed.

If your going to filter at least do as good as a job as the fuel companies and cut out the half ass attempts. call simple centrifuge and do it right they have a new one pass through system. I hate to get my hands on your guys's IP pumps that are so danty and have softer material in them than the bearings in my engine ( joke lol) if it wont wear out the engine bearings it wont wear out those IP hardened parts for sure. everyone know s what a babbet bearing is right its the rod or main bearing in the truck motor you can damage it with your finger nail when its out. but the IP pump is like the engines cam lobe inside. its hardened to hell and back and you could even whack pretty good with a hammer and see no damage. You can not damage your IP with motor oil that has been through a engine oil filter. if your going to filter go to zero microns, since it doesnt matter and your taking your free time to do it do it right get it clean.

Also yes the motors run quiter running on wmo oil but i'm not sure yet if this is good or bad. its abviuolsy more to do with the timeing setiing and the fuel cetane change from the fuel type change. As soon as i get my twin turbo set up on this beast were going to do some timing changes based on stock trucks running diesel and settting the wmo truck up so it sounds like the diesel motor and see where that puts the timing and if it helps or makes it worse.

Also i just dumped a truck load (f-550) of money at eguages and will be installing guages like it was a aircraft so i can dial this filthy oil eating monster in. Then its off to convert the 2004 power stroke!

I should have tunred this picture before i posted it but as you can see its a small no resivoir steering pump with enternal modifcations delivering 50 to 65 psi, remeber forget the psi just did not get a chance to do a volume test. I now it looks like a factory install but its just me. the upper radiator hose had to be lengthened as it passed through the area that the pump was mounted in. so i bent and flared some aluminized exhaust pipe to fit the bill. works slicker than deer guts on a pump handle.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 33

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
do you have som epart numbers and mre build info on the power steering pump? i agree the pump will only make enough pressure as the back pressure on it. i owuld still be leary about something getting plugged and blowing all my injector lines.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do I have this right - I just get used motor oil, filter it to 3 microns or less and I can run it at about a 50/50 mix? Where would I get a filter like that? Also is gear oil too thick?

Gear oil will work just fine but not more than 25% of your waste oil i.e. 12% gear 38% wmo 50% dino, this blend will work down to 30* in an IDI motor.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if you're filtering it down to 2 or 3 microns, won't that take most/all of the soot out too? About the best source I can think of free WMO right now is what I'm dumping out of my crankcase - at 10 quarts every 3000 miles it adds up. Especially since I've already paid for it!

No you will still have soot & since the IDI's have such a poor starting system I have always pulled my GP's at every oil change & cleaned the coke off them.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea

A theory I'm working on for this power loss as i have had it myself when running the stock fuel pump and when it was cold out.

I can tell you that wmo heated up in a svo system like i'm running yeilds the same gph any where you can lock the cruise control on a set speed.

I just finished my fuel steering pump fuel pump last night and ran it about 50 miles and it was snowing at 36 f. at this temp normally i would have to switch to diesel on some steep hills out here in the mountains going to my house. with the new pump on i had full power and could lock the cruise on under any speeed i wished and she was very happy. So my theory is that as you increase the wmo percentage (I run 100% only) you run a loss of power under high loads but as the outside temp increases tghis goes away. last summer i was running 100% wmo in the summer and mid day after my tank had time to really saturate with some btu's i was experinceing nearly perfect driving conditions. also I have no turbo on yet so i was really seeing it. so what you need to do is build a fuel pump. I would tel you to take the return line offf under load and run it to say a bucket or tank in the bed or even a clear fuel line through the cab then into a vw style fuel fileter so you can see at what load you run out of fuel. but donbt waist your time with this if it doesnt fell like its putting out full power its not getting enough fuel. i spent way to much time testing for what i new was the case.

As far as gray smoke verses black smoke. at least on the non turbo i'm seeing grey stinky smoke say getting on the free way when there is a low fuel volume propblem. I find if i back out of the throttle untill the engine has enough fuel to build full power for that throttle setting the smoke would mostly or almost go away completly. tghis tell me that the pump is starving for the ability to get a full load of fuel per injector pulse. When i have full fuel volume to run the engine on the same on ramp i am seeing black smoke that were all familair with. so as the temps have switched from extreme cold to moderate the one thing that is constant is the grey and black smoke. so grey is you not enough fuel volume and black is your getting enough volume.

you guys need to forget about fuel pressure its all about volume not pressure. do yourself a favor and as far as diesel fuel systems go with wmo or vo only worry about the return volume to the tank from the return line. you need to see at least a few drops of fuel running out the return line to know that the IP is had all the fuel it needed for that throttle setting. technicaly wmo has more BTU than diesle so as i work past these issues I'm expecting to see a mpg change or at least a rpm change of something on cruise at a set speed.

If your going to filter at least do as good as a job as the fuel companies and cut out the half ass attempts. call simple centrifuge and do it right they have a new one pass through system. I hate to get my hands on your guys's IP pumps that are so danty and have softer material in them than the bearings in my engine ( joke lol) if it wont wear out the engine bearings it wont wear out those IP hardened parts for sure. everyone know s what a babbet bearing is right its the rod or main bearing in the truck motor you can damage it with your finger nail when its out. but the IP pump is like the engines cam lobe inside. its hardened to hell and back and you could even whack pretty good with a hammer and see no damage. You can not damage your IP with motor oil that has been through a engine oil filter. if your going to filter go to zero microns, since it doesnt matter and your taking your free time to do it do it right get it clean.

Also yes the motors run quiter running on wmo oil but i'm not sure yet if this is good or bad. its abviuolsy more to do with the timeing setiing and the fuel cetane change from the fuel type change. As soon as i get my twin turbo set up on this beast were going to do some timing changes based on stock trucks running diesel and settting the wmo truck up so it sounds like the diesel motor and see where that puts the timing and if it helps or makes it worse.

Also i just dumped a truck load (f-550) of money at eguages and will be installing guages like it was a aircraft so i can dial this filthy oil eating monster in. Then its off to convert the 2004 power stroke!

I should have tunred this picture before i posted it but as you can see its a small no resivoir steering pump with enternal modifcations delivering 50 to 65 psi, remeber forget the psi just did not get a chance to do a volume test. I now it looks like a factory install but its just me. the upper radiator hose had to be lengthened as it passed through the area that the pump was mounted in. so i bent and flared some aluminized exhaust pipe to fit the bill. works slicker than deer guts on a pump handle.
good idea

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance