04 turbo on my 95

CatIronSlave

Reaction score
bear with me im young and new at this. is it worth it for me to spend $400 on a new 04 stock turbo and put it on my 95. ive been told it will give me the extra air i need but i dont know any one running a late model stock turbo on an older 12v

F350JOHN

Reaction score
Thats my plan too, I have an '04 turbo on my '94 Cummins 12 valve, as I am to understand it, its good up to 400hp, thats better than my H1C
(Like: HX35).

I bought a complete manifold and turbo, it all bolts up to the 12 valve, but I will have to do some oil drain line mods to make it work just right. You may have to aswell.

Last edited:

MMeier

Reaction score
Why would you want to put a 9 SQ CM ex housing on a 12 valve?? :dunno Much less a manifold that backfeeds between cylinders 4 & 5?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
That is because the stock turbo on those are small which can't flow as much air as your stock turbo. Yes the other one will spool much quicker but after that it's a henderance not a help.

F350JOHN

Reaction score
The only reason I got my 2004 turbo setup, was because it was such a good deal.:eek: My old H1C was badly rusty, needed a new wastegate, and needed a rebuild badly.:puke: (From the greater Wisconsin rust belt, with/154K miles.) The verdict is still out on the new style manifold, its flow is a little better than the 1994 style, but I worry about where it places the turbo (TOO close to the firewall.) However, I can't see paying $400+ for an ATS or other preformance type of manifold. (Working on a budget/not going for huge hp/tq numbers anyway.)

All of my stuff will have to be custom anyway, because its going in my 1992 F-350 crew cab 4x4!:thumbsup:

If it doesn't work.....I can always sell it on good 'ol eBay. Plenty of people out there want the stock Cummins turbo.

CatIronSlave

Reaction score
where is the henderence just that after you're spooled you can't get any more air than you already had with the original '95. can anyone give me the model #s of these for my own refrence

F350JOHN

Reaction score
The topic of turbo chargers is a very opinionated topic for many people. Just like what transmission is better. (ie. stick v.s. auto)

The facts are that the 2004 style turbo is a proven replacement for the
HX35/WH1C that came on the 1994. It will spool faster than your 1994, and it passes exhaust gasses just as well (similar volume) to your 1994. Not any better or worse. If the HX35 was so great, woulden't they keep it as the turbo for the 2004 Cummins?

Your best bet would be to talk to a turbo shop. They know, and can be of more help than an opionionated fourm.

MMeier

Reaction score
where is the henderence just that after you're spooled you can't get any more air than you already had with the original '95. can anyone give me the model #s of these for my own refrence

Cat, look into the back of the 3rd gen turbo. All your exhaust has to go through that itty bitty opening... what is it, about an inch and 3/8ths? Then look at a manifold, better yet if you can find one off an engine, pour water into the #5 port and see where most of it goes... out the bottom or back through the #4 port.