“The 6.9” project thread

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently hunting for a core support. Also, the ranger is about to hit 300k. Also, also, also, here’s a cool pic of my grandad doing “normal” stuff. Man I’d kill to operate heavy equipment, that’s my dream job.
Dude, the trades are hurting for workers right now. Everyone I know is looking for employees, from the big heavy civil guys, all the way down to the sole proprietor looking for a hand. There are literally millions of job openings in the trade world right now. Go find a company that runs tractors and say you want a job and to learn. They will train you. excavator operators make good money, but crane guys get big bucks, but you have a lot of liability with that too.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Also be mindful, some fields, while hurting for employees, is also partially flooded with pretty green people. At my work alone we are supposed to have 14 techs, we have 9 at the moment, and 7 of them have a year or two of experience, and it's mostly as lube techs. Always fun throwing them at a truck and say Do X, lol.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I

I used to have a 59 caterpillar D6. It was a cable dozer 11' wide blade. I hated selling it, but I needed money more than a dozer at the time. 12tons, as big as the IH traction engine your grandpa is on there
We have a little d2 with a cable dozer. It’s buried under other stuff. He sold the td14 a long time ago. I can vaguely remember it.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, the trades are hurting for workers right now. Everyone I know is looking for employees, from the big heavy civil guys, all the way down to the sole proprietor looking for a hand. There are literally millions of job openings in the trade world right now. Go find a company that runs tractors and say you want a job and to learn. They will train you. excavator operators make good money, but crane guys get big bucks, but you have a lot of liability with that too.
Honestly man I just don’t know how to get started on it. I took the union test and everything but their wait list is insane so probably by the time I’m 40 I’ll hear back. But I’ve been looking around. I just never knew who to ask for advice LOL

I was under the impression that the only way in was to be a hard hand or join the union. And both are things I have a hard time figuring out how to get into.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Could go to a trade school and get your associates in diesel technology and industrial equipment, thats what I did.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly man I just don’t know how to get started on it. I took the union test and everything but their wait list is insane so probably by the time I’m 40 I’ll hear back. But I’ve been looking around. I just never knew who to ask for advice LOL

I was under the impression that the only way in was to be a hard hand or join the union. And both are things I have a hard time figuring out how to get into.
If you want to operate equipment, I would ask around and see what companies are near you. Even if its a small one, just call them up and say you are looking for a job and want to learn. Most guys are real cool and will either give you a chance or if they don't have an opening know someone who does. I wouldn't worry about the union right now. Just get your foot in the door and see if you like it.
Now if you want to run the big tower cranes then you need hours and to get certified. I believe all those are run by the Unions and you will have to go that route.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to operate equipment, I would ask around and see what companies are near you. Even if its a small one, just call them up and say you are looking for a job and want to learn. Most guys are real cool and will either give you a chance or if they don't have an opening know someone who does. I wouldn't worry about the union right now. Just get your foot in the door and see if you like it.
Now if you want to run the big tower cranes then you need hours and to get certified. I believe all those are run by the Unions and you will have to go that route.
Thanks man. I’ll definitely start to look.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my fuel tank skid plate modded for the sump I haven’t purchased yet. And I figured I’d strip and paint the hitch to make it look a little nicer. You can kinda see along the frame but I got all the wiring ran and in new loom. All I had at the moment were white zip ties so I’ll re-tie them all later with black ones lol. Monday before work (that’s right, I get the pleasure of ripping swing shift for a bit) I’ll go get u bolts made and some fittings for all the fuel lines. For some reason drilling a giant hole in the bed is making me nervous. I have a knack for measuring twice and still cutting it wrong lol.

Attachments

• A2329E71-A943-48A5-B2B4-8982B3BE7588.jpeg
    A2329E71-A943-48A5-B2B4-8982B3BE7588.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 9
  • BB1E8F33-DC23-4960-B0B0-D3C6E761E0E3.jpeg
    BB1E8F33-DC23-4960-B0B0-D3C6E761E0E3.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 0B2B13AA-1831-4B17-A00D-47237DBBFD7C.jpeg
    0B2B13AA-1831-4B17-A00D-47237DBBFD7C.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 9

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
(that’s right, I get the pleasure of ripping swing shift for a bit)
Oh man. I HATE swing shifts. Even when I've been desperate for a job in the past, I've tried to avoid applying at a place with a swing shift. Some people may not mind it or may even like it, but I feel that constantly trying to adjust to a new daily routine would keep you pretty tied down to that job.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man. I HATE swing shifts. Even when I've been desperate for a job in the past, I've tried to avoid applying at a place with a swing shift. Some people may not mind it or may even like it, but I feel that constantly trying to adjust to a new daily routine would keep you pretty tied down to that job.
They said seniority gets the best shifts which makes sense, I’m the new guy with a bunch of dudes with family’s. But as much as I don’t like it, I don’t THINK it’s forever. If it is forever in their mind, I’m not too worried because I’m not going to be here forever LOL, I want to work on equipment. Being a mechanic isn’t my first choice but while I figure out what i really want, I’m gonna at least make the best of it. I definitely miss my old job, all my friends and just the environment.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don’t have swings, but we work 12’s and alternate Days and Nights. Before a coworker and I started doing our swap. We would switch between D/N 8 (EIGHT!!!) freaking times in 10 weeks. I didn’t know whether I was coming or going!!!

Now I swap twice in 10 weeks!! So much better!!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don’t have swings, but we work 12’s and alternate Days and Nights. Before a coworker and I started doing our swap. We would switch between D/N 8 (EIGHT!!!) freaking times in 10 weeks. I didn’t know whether I was coming or going!!!

Now I swap twice in 10 weeks!! So much better!!
That is bonkers...I'm not made for that kind of stuff. LOL I work 4 10-hour shifts and a little OT. And got home to my wife and 4 kiddos every day. :fight:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is bonkers...I'm not made for that kind of stuff. LOL I work 4 10-hour shifts and a little OT. And got home to my wife and 4 kiddos every day. :fight:
I’d love 4 10’s. At my old job we’d work pretty much 10-11 hour days but would start pretty early so I still had the rest of the day to do stuff.