ZF5 Spring and Interlock missing

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to have lost the 5th-reverse interlock(Part #7f194) and shifter interlock spring(Part #7234). I don't think they fell into the tranny, but my friend who was helping me removed the shifter, so I don't know for sure. The transmission is out of the vehicle, and I removed the inspection plates on both sides, tilted the transmission to both sides, upside-down, etc. and don't hear/see any parts rattling around. I really don't want to seperate the Front from the tailhousing. Should I call it good, buy the missing parts, and reassemble, or could those parts still be in the transmission waiting to do damage? On a related note, where can I buy these parts?
Thanks,
Peter

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I'd say disconnect your D-shaft and have someone hold the cluth in. While they do this, spin the output shaft and see if it falls. That part is positioned so that if it fell straight down it would end up visible in the PTO ports... but becaues the area is more on the cramped side it could have gotten lodged somewhere in between the main and countershaft assemblies.
I would say engage all gears individually and spin the tranny via hand and if nothing falls out, call it good.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as buying the parts,i have them sitting on the shop floor.PM me your address and ill mail them out to you monday morning if you can wait a few more days

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your help.

Rawpower-I took the PTO covers off, did what you said, and no spring, so I called it good. ;Sweet I figured if it was in there it'd clang around or something.

94F450sd-Thanks for the offer, but after (carefully) checking for the missing parts, I found them laying with a million other bolts, nuts, etc I had sitting around. cookoo I guess I need to get better organized.

With the ZF5 bellhousing cracked, and time/funds to buy a SMF and clutch running short :mad: , I've decided to use the T19 with recentlly resurfaced flywheel and newer clutch that I ran in my 84 before pulling the engine to "freashen it up." No overdrive :rolleyes: , but At least it's cast iron and not Aluminum. I will, however, save the ZF5 to swap in when I have more time and money.(unless, of course I find a GV or other overdrive for cheap(Key word: CHEAP.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online