ZF5 out of a gasser ok for a diesel?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I thought with a GV it was like a semi, you run through all your gears, turn it on in neutral shifting back to the minimum gear and going through all the gears again.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it's true. GV runs on hydraulic presure, like an automatic trans. It has a planetary gear set, which is stronger than the one in the US Gear, and can be shifted under power, unlike the US Gear (not that I recommend doing that with a manual trans) so each has it's advantages/disadvantages. 9 speeds on a ZF 5 with 4.10's, and 7 on a T-19 with 3.54's.

Tanya, try the gear oil trick to see if that will buy you any time.

mainiac

Reaction score
Why not do what the oldtimers used to do. Put another tranny behind the existing tranny.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Why not do what the oldtimers used to do. Put another tranny behind the existing tranny.

;Sweet

That be a great plan. Two 5sp gives you a double overdrive. I have been told though the 5th is a little weak?

If the T19 can take it I have even thought of one of thoughs behind an auto. Might even be able to do it without a clutch. :thumbsup:

Calvin

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet

That be a great plan. Two 5sp gives you a double overdrive. I have been told though the 5th is a little weak?

If the T19 can take it I have even thought of one of thoughs behind an auto. Might even be able to do it without a clutch. :thumbsup:

Calvin

With the T19's final drive of 1:1 your final gear ratio will be the same as the final drive of the first transmission so if you're looking for an overdrive or double overdrive it won't work. It should however give you gears in between and will give you extra low gears.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Certainly. For me I am not really looking for an overdrive. More of a can I do it and how. I am researching this for my van. Toyota makes it easy as the input of one trans will slide into the output of another. With my Ford stuff I still have a lot more to learn. Maybe the ZF5 could take it. Maybe not. Take the TQ of the IDI and compound that through 1st on a C6. But maybe it will hold and be reliable.

Calvin

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• rangeroverdrive_300.jpg
    rangeroverdrive_300.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 8

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
That is neat. I worry about this statement though...

The unit is built to handle 420 ft./lbs. of torque.

Think we might make soup of the internals.

Calvin

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is neat. I worry about this statement though...

The unit is built to handle 420 ft./lbs. of torque.

Think we might make soup of the internals.

Calvin

Not with an IDI and shifted properly. The ranger overdrives are tough units but then again there are those here that can break anything and everything:dunno .

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not with an IDI and shifted properly. The ranger overdrives are tough units but then again there are those here that can break anything and everything:dunno .
I agree....some people can break anything anytime anywhere...others who care to not break work at longevity.

I feel this would be a nice simple upgrade to a truck with a T19 without having to change fly wheel and all that...just remount the cross member and shorten / lengthen driveshafts as needed. for 2x or 4x

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
I guess I just use the heck out of my truck. I do not go out looking to break stuff. But at the same time I do not want to have to be thinking about everything I do being the last for my truck.

What does an IDI make for TQ at the flywheel? What about a modded IDI? If this can handle a stock IDI that is one thing but if all it takes to break it is a turbo then what?

Calvin

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I just use the heck out of my truck. I do not go out looking to break stuff. But at the same time I do not want to have to be thinking about everything I do being the last for my truck.

What does an IDI make for TQ at the flywheel? What about a modded IDI? If this can handle a stock IDI that is one thing but if all it takes to break it is a turbo then what?

Calvin

This is RW TQ & TQ for the IDI....Found it in the IDI tech section from the IDI history posted by Mel.

Specifications for the 6.9 are as follows:
Editors note: Horsepower ratings advertised on the valve covers varied from as little as 155hp, to 175 depending on pump calibration.

Max HP 175 @ 3300 RPM
Max torque 318 ft/lb @ 1800 RPM

Specifications for the 7.3 are as follows.

Max HP 185 @ 3300 RPM
Max torque 338 ft/lb @ 1800 RPM

Here is a post Darrin recently made about his truck on the dyno and his signature on Big Ed

Here are my numbers on the dyno run this summer:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG
HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP and 37.19 increase in Torque with the propane.

One of the guys figured that is 298.5HP at the crank with the LPG. not bad for a stock pump, just turned up, stock injectors, old style Banks turbo, and homeade LPG. Oh yea, little exhaust work also.

"Big Ed" 1989 F-350 XLT Lariat, King Ranch, Crew Cab, 4x4, Banks Turboed 7.3 IDI, C6, Gear Vendors, 4:10ls, Propane Injection, Ram Air Hood Scoop, Air Compressor/Horns/Bags/Tank/Conditioning, 17x10" wheels, 35" BFG's, Dual 5" Sidepipes, Edlbrock Shocks, Dual Steering Stabilizers, Add a Leafs, Full Guages, Custom Counsol, CD, Amp, Sub, Rear Power Slider, Brushguard, Headache Rack, Spray in Bedliner, Diamond Plate, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Super Duty Cooler, and Aux Filter, Amsoil Dual Oil FIlters and Synthetics, Lots more,... check out the video,.. D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That being said I would have no problem using a Ranger overdrive on any of the IDI trucks what so ever.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That being said I would have no problem using a Ranger overdrive on any of the IDI trucks what so ever.

I wouldn't either. Come to think about it the ZF5 trannies that are behind the IDIs are also rated at 420 TQ. If I were to worry about anything it would be the tranny you put behind the Ranger when it was in underdrive multiplying the torque of the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online