ZF5 out of a gasser ok for a diesel?

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
I wouldn't either. Come to think about it the ZF5 trannies that are behind the IDIs are also rated at 420 TQ. If I were to worry about anything it would be the tranny you put behind the Ranger when it was in underdrive multiplying the torque of the engine.

So the issue I hear about for the ZF and 5th being weak and should not be used for heavy towing or it can fail is not related to the TQ that the engine puts out? Is it just a weak gear design?

Not trying to be difficult. Just want ot have the best understanding I can and to look at all sides if possible.

Calvin

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you hear about 5th being weak on the ZF, the only ones I see complain about 5th breaking is the Dodge boys when they have problems with the nut backing off of 5th which isn't possible on the ZF5 as it is a completely different design.

Problem I had was forgetting to take the driveshaft off when towing it and ruining the tailshaft bearing and cracked the tailshaft housing.

I didn't even know it happened as I thought it was just a leaky seal and it still drove and shifted nice for a couple hundred miles even hauling 10k worth of firewood.

I found the problem when I went to replace the seal and the gear on the speedo cable and had to rebuild it before I could sell it.

The usual complaints I see with 5th gear behind an IDI is people not having enough power from the engine to pull big loads, not breaking the tranny.

Here's a look inside the ZF5 for you, nothing weak looking about this tranny
You must be registered for see images attach

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aw hell either way it over the recomended hp/tq

;Sweet :D :hail :thumbsup: Run it till it blows, pick up the pieces and do it againLOL .

IIRC most problems with them are due to lack of oil when they start leaking at the PTO covers and run dry. Then there are those that do stupid stuff like me and break them. :idiot:

Then there's GEO who breaks the bellhousing... can't remember what happened there, was he was pullin' sleds at the track or high centered it on a hill at a constuction site:dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the issue I hear about for the ZF and 5th being weak and should not be used for heavy towing or it can fail is not related to the TQ that the engine puts out? Is it just a weak gear design?
calvin-
I drove my f450 carrier from '93 to '04 and used 5th every chance I was given. empty weight 11k, avg loaded wt 14-17k, extreme loaded wt. 22k(about 6k past legal:eek:)
I've replaced the trans 3 times in 890k miles of service. None due to catastrophic failure.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
;Sweet :D :hail :thumbsup: Run it till it blows, pick up the pieces and do it againLOL .

IIRC
Then there's GEO who breaks the bellhousing... can't remember what happened there, was he was pullin' sleds at the track or high centered it on a hill at a constuction site:dunno

I have a spare , just needs syncros one day I will get them.
Or If I only knew someone who has done it before:angel:
Im only like 300 miles or less from Apex.
Could be a long roads trip

I think on Geos it was the dual mass that did it in.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

Is your spare a 4x4? if so i'm get it from ya next time i'm at the in laws?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't get along with those syncros very well, spent something like an entire day chasing those damn spings and detent balls around the shop on just one of them-cuss LOL . Mabey next time around won't be so bad.

Oh what the heck, bring yours here and Tanya can bring hers too and we can have a ZF5 clinic and slap a couple of them together over a weekend. IIRC the rebuild kit with syncros is only about $400 from Autozone

Gotta decent guest house like Apex too.