Short throw shift for the zf5?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
As title states, looking for a short throw shifter for my zf5. I know Wes from classic diesel designs had a build or so with a short throw shifter in one of his builds a good while back, just don't know where he got them. Anyone have any ideas or info?

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First google result when searching, "zf5 short throw shifter". They are the only ones who make one as far as I have heard of or seen reference to. Helpful people whenever I have called for info

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
First google result when searching, "zf5 short throw shifter". They are the only ones who make one as far as I have heard of or seen reference to. Helpful people whenever I have called for info

Wow that was quick! And helpful. Thank you!

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a guy on the zf5 Facebook page out of Canada that makes one. d.j. Patterson.
I have one of his in my truck. it's supposed to be shorter than the Midwest one.

it requires more force to get it into gears, and really doesn't change the shift speed in a noticeable way. it does make it much less throw to shift. I hated it at first, but I really like it now after some time using it. it literally cut the throw in half which is nice.

I installed it to stop hitting my dog when shifting, and because I always wanted one

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Is the short throw for when you swap a idi into a foxbody mustang?
Lol no. Wife got a great deal on a 97 powerstroke. 97 f350 e40d 4x4 srw with d60 running and driving. I had bought her a zf5 and 1356 t case for the 93 idit dually build, and even a idit block. But she changed direction on me. Now she wants the powerstroke to be manual. And upon instalation we realize 1st and 3rd will hit her new brake control and she just got it where she wants it. Also worried it will be interfered with my the 60/40 seat she keeps the center folded down on as a center console and cup holder. So I figured shorter throw would aid in this department. And now I can use the e40d in trade or another build, whichever comes first. Lol.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol no. Wife got a great deal on a 97 powerstroke. 97 f350 e40d 4x4 srw with d60 running and driving. I had bought her a zf5 and 1356 t case for the 93 idit dually build, and even a idit block. But she changed direction on me. Now she wants the powerstroke to be manual. And upon instalation we realize 1st and 3rd will hit her new brake control and she just got it where she wants it. Also worried it will be interfered with my the 60/40 seat she keeps the center folded down on as a center console and cup holder. So I figured shorter throw would aid in this department. And now I can use the e40d in trade or another build, whichever comes first. Lol.
It's good that you're considering the cupholder, that'll be important to your wife and @XOLATEM .

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
It's good that you're considering the cupholder, that'll be important to your wife and @XOLATEM .
Verry much so. Many deaths here in Texas are avoided daily by her cupholder. No coffee? Everyone dies! I make coffee for her every morning before she wakes up so that it's already there. By doing so I have saved a lot of money on my home repair bill tye past 20 years. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online