ZF 5 help/questions

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
ZF5 plug size & thread??

Bottle pump....I have one for my 2 gal jug...handy little thing!
For curiosity, anybody know what size & thread pitch the fill plug is. IIRC it's metric.
I've thought about rigging up some sort of angle plumbing & go taller on my fill, partly to try to gain ability to ck fluid level when overfilled.

Also thought about drilling & tapping whatever size (1/4", 3/8", 1/2") street 90deg pipe fitting that I could fit into existing fill plug (not the fill hole, but the plug), then plumb up toward level with top of tranny & put plug or cap at top to fill or ck fluid level thru.

Then I had a nasty thought.....I'd probably run over a dog or chicken or cat and rip plumbing & side out of my tranny!!:eek: :eek:

siggghhhhh.....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
FWIW many people think straight or multi weight engine oil is a cure all for manual trannys , regardless of MFR.

I changed from the fac reccomended GL5 synth tranny lube to full synth MREC V in both IDI and PSD ZF's and have never looked back ;Sweet

Winter shifting is no different than summer, and while I run a South Bend OFE setup my rollover is minimal at best and that is running just above full by what ever angle a couple 4x4 blocks gives me capacity wise.

I will say that after I installed a temp gauge in the tranny...I damn near freaked out when I saw the stabilised temp after running loaded for an hour and a half at 80 mph in 90 + deg temps...200 deg :eek: those ZF's tend to run well above auto tranny temps!

Nermal light load crusing will hang around 180 deg....time to get some cooler plates = finned covers that replace the PTO covers and add about 2.5 qts capacity :D

regarding gear floating...I put well over 300 k mi on my '90 IDI both on the fact POS DMFW and subsequent LUK fro Tom at Carolina ;Sweet and never had any issues......for some reason the ZF in my PSD doesn't care too much for it :dunno

my couple pennies.... spend a couple $$ and go with the LUK kit :hail
You may as well also replace the slave kit while you are at it...esp if you have high miles.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Well, got the tranny overfilled, put almost all that 2 gallon jug in...well, probably a quart went down my arm holding that rubber washer up there :rotflmao

Didn't seem to notice much difference here this morning driving it in, but I only got 5 hours of sleep after a LOT of working over the weekend, so maybe I'm just a little inattentive ;Really

I'm going to try to set aside some funds from this next paycheck for a clutch job. I told the wife that I got our $500 (Luk) clutch job down to probably $350 (Cheaper's amalgamation), her response..."Good, maybe if I keep waiting you'll get it down to $100" :rotflmao cookoo

I just can't wait, driving this thing is going to be SOOOO much better with a new clutch :D

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part numbers for the clutch disc n pressure plate are no good anymore anyone know what they were superceeded too or they are just gone

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The thing is that you have to know if you still have to dual mass flywheel and if it's still good. Most of them aren't anymore. The most common thing to do is a single mass flywheel conversion. I have had very good luck with my Luk kit that I installed back in 2006. I've seen it said that the pilot and throw out bearings in the kit aren't very good these days and you should replace them with Timken bearings. either way, just look up what you want for the truck that your transmission came out of. That should get you what you need.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Well I skimmed back thru & down thru this thread, even my post I made back in '07...... over filling our transmissions, etc, etc. And EJ, my granddaughter Emily Jane...... Now she Junior in Hi-School........ How this happen?? She just lovable kid other day in '07.

ZF5 Transmission overfill....Well I don't overfill much anymore. Drive it up on blocks a bit on fill side & ck & fill.
Reason I don't really, really overfill anymore is because I pulled out of here one afternoon headed down into Az, big loaded trailer behind my F350 CCLB dually, grossing 30K+ and gonna do some nighttime round the scales running.

Bout 50 mi down the road cab got to getting smoke filled, finally totally full. Stopped & figured out it was transmission. Found a place that let me drain & refill transmission. Refilled it just a slight bit over but that was all, & ever since just slightly over.
Learned a lesson.................LOL LOL

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is that you have to know if you still have to dual mass flywheel and if it's still good. Most of them aren't anymore. The most common thing to do is a single mass flywheel conversion. I have had very good luck with my Luk kit that I installed back in 2006. I've seen it said that the pilot and throw out bearings in the kit aren't very good these days and you should replace them with Timken bearings. either way, just look up what you want for the truck that your transmission came out of. That should get you what you need.
The ansewer id like to find is the pressure plate and disc that work with a 6.9 flywheel seen it in one og these tbreads as i have a 6.9 ive seen mixed input about usising a 7.3 flywheel