ZD9 WMO Fuel Heater

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
thing that bothers me--when i was running wmo--7 years ago--pure--at 57,,the stuff wouldnt almost flow!! so even if this was somewhere forward,,the fuel at and in the tank is still almost not fluid--sooooo, a heated tank is the only solution to the inevitable,,along with insulated and heated forward lines--

Yeah, I'm seeing this... Little Holley Red is having a hard time with cold WMO... I think I'm gonna have to go to 50/50 for the winter, or get a more powerful pump.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried using the mechanical pump? The only time I ever had problems was when the temps dropped into the low 30s one night and I was running 100% wvo. Other than that, the pump I am using now saw lots of wmo before it was swapped from the old motor to my current 6.9. It hasnt given me any problems at all.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
No Billy, I haven't... I got so pissed off dealing with the leaky OEM filter head and re-priming and wearing down batteries trying to start that I just capped the ports and went electric.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that as well /\.. and I am on my third AirTex in 2 months.. if this one ***** out, I am gonna go ProComp, I think, saved the bookmark on the p.c., which I haven't fired in a month, the Mac is more convenient.. anyway.... 1 more shot at a E-pump.. and back to mechanical. Interesting read about the heater for fuel. the whole reason I went IDI was to run W (insert initial here) O, and I have yet t find a source, and in ID, un fortunately we have plenty of 30 degree and below days (hate it here).. so this will now get filed in the useful tips section in me 'ead.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Guss, you know your stuff, he does not. The 6v plugs with a 12V system is why they heat pretty fast. Most people don't have the patience to wait out a 12V glow plug system. My grandfather's Olds had the slow glows I think and as a kid anyway it seemed to take them forever to heat up. Furthermore, most of the GM spec plugs are also 6V "fast glow" glow plugs. They only did the slow glows in 1978-80 if I remember right.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I did that as well /\.. and I am on my third AirTex in 2 months.. if this one ***** out, I am gonna go ProComp, I think, saved the bookmark on the p.c., which I haven't fired in a month, the Mac is more convenient.. anyway.... 1 more shot at a E-pump.. and back to mechanical. Interesting read about the heater for fuel. the whole reason I went IDI was to run W (insert initial here) O, and I have yet t find a source, and in ID, un fortunately we have plenty of 30 degree and below days (hate it here).. so this will now get filed in the useful tips section in me 'ead.

Difficulty sourcing WVO was the primary reason I went to WMO. I don't feel as green/ethically happy about it as I would running veg (notice screen name) but it was destined to be burned anyway in a power plant, so I salve my moral wounds with that consolation. Like you though, I'm pretty sure I need to start looking for a better quality e-pump.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you adapt one of those 350 oil pumps to do the job? A regulator would fix the pressure problems and it should have no problems pumping cold oil.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you can't run straight WMO and especially not WVO at cold temps no matter what pump you try without a tank pre-heating system. So i feel the two option are adding a pre heating system or runnin a mix. The mix is easiest and it doesn't have to be diesel. a little mogas, or kerosene say 20% will thin it out or 50% dino-diesel (i recomend the diesel it's full proof. there can be mixing issues with the other fuels)

tank heating. There are lots of fun ways to do this, and truthfully BioF with s much as you love to tinker this seems right up your alley.
1. patch into you coolant lines running to the heater core and run them back to the tank that has WXO in it. run a heat exchanger in the tank i.e. a copper coil or even a small heater core. upside is it's trouble free heats very well. Downside is a little hard to install, and you have to wait until the engine is at operating temp before switching to WXO
2. Just slap a magnetic block heater on the tank you store WXO in and make sure to have it on before you get in the truck. Upside. . couldn't be easier downside is you have to plug in the truck, and if you forget oyu can't use WXO
3. Alternator run electric heating elements. slap them on the tank, filter, and lines. upside easy to use. downside. . pain to install and alternator draw can be extensive.

these i owuld use in conjunction with a snazzy glowplug WXO heater.

for reference i use the engine coolant method, but with the fuel line inside the coolant hose so that it is heated along its length. i also have a copper heater exchanger wrapped around a seconday WXO only fuel filter. I use the stock mechanical lift pump.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
gonecrazyi said:
Why don't you adapt one of those 350 oil pumps to do the job? A regulator would fix the pressure problems and it should have no problems pumping cold oil.
The thought crossed my mind, but I couldn't come up with an elegant way to deal with shaft leakage...:dunno

Black dawg said:
the mechanical pumps are trouble free even at 100% wmo with no heat.
I don't doubt that one bit.
BUT- being able to prime the fuel system right up to the IP with a flip of the switch, or just turn on the pump and turn the handle on a valved T fitting to pull off a few gallons of fuel for a generator or to wash parts in is mighty handy. Besides, in Fla. this is just a temporary inconvenience, it'll be over before we know it.:D

Wrickm said:
2. Just slap a magnetic block heater on the tank you store WXO in and make sure to have it on before you get in the truck. Upside. . couldn't be easier downside is you have to plug in the truck, and if you forget you can't use WXO.
I never knew such a thing existed! I plead a southern upbringing your honor...

Seriously though, I see the magnetic external A/C heater used in conjunction with the coolant heat exchanger inside the tank as being the ideal combination for most situations.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm driving to Waco to pick up 300 gal of WMO this coming week. A big silage operation down there uses that much every oil change. Did I say big, I mean big!

Biofarmer please, post a picture of your heater, it's worth a thousand words. Thanks.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Im just going to be running a brazed plate heat exchanger, Just start and stop on regular diesel and flip over when the engine is up to temp... simple

Attachments

• IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6807.jpg
    IMG_6807.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 21

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex, That's more or less what i do. Heat using engine heat and start and stop on dino-diesel or even some home brewed biodiesel (with a thineer of cold weather)