ZD9 WMO Fuel Heater

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Those are money well spent, built for long haul trucks that just gotta work, they are a little spendy, but will probably out last your truck and no worries about water leaks into the fuel tank at the most inoppertune times.

Something like this? A coolant heated pickup. $220.00 Canada and $209.00 US.
A little high for my taste but these can be made, just avoid copper.

Simple to run all that hose.:rotflmao

http://www.plantdrive.ca/xcart/product.php?productid=16137&cat=14&bestseller=Y

or here?

http://www.plantdrive.com/shop/home.php?cat=264

Dreaming again,

LCjeff

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm seeing this... Little Holley Red is having a hard time with cold WMO... I think I'm gonna have to go to 50/50 for the winter, or get a more powerful pump.

You could do what I do. I mix 33% kero with my WMO. That thins it down a lot!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I finally ended up going to ~40% diesel in the mix and that helped tremendously, so did fixing my timing!

MUDKICKR i have had an idea for a tank heater for a while, but havent tried it out yet. ive been thinking about running my exhaust through it. what i mean by that building a tank to fit where my muffler is and run the exhaust pipe through the fuel tank. i am just wondeing what you guys think about that.

I realize most folks here think I'm way outa left field, but I think that's an awesome idea- get a junkyard tank, cut two holes in it, run exhaust tube through it and weld it up good...;Sweet;Sweet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the exhaust idea afaik as long as it doesnt leak from the cutting/welding LOL. would heat it up far faster too.

I would measure the temperatures at the pipe though, only problems i could see would be rubber/plastics getting too hot maybe ..

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the exhaust idea afaik as long as it doesnt leak from the cutting/welding LOL. would heat it up far faster too.

I would measure the temperatures at the pipe though, only problems i could see would be rubber/plastics getting too hot maybe ..

Aren't there federal regs against modifying fuel tanks, as well as giving your insurance company an easy out for denying a claim?

Not trying to be a *****. I've thought about similar mods, but haven't researched the regs yet.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't there federal regs against modifying fuel tanks, as well as giving your insurance company an easy out for denying a claim?

Not trying to be a *****. I've thought about similar mods, but haven't researched the regs yet.
I have no clue, but thats one of my concerns... along with how much heat is available that far down the pipe. I know by that far heat has been dissipating but getting a reading w/ a thermal meter would help us know that...

Theres magnetic heating elements you could probably just slap on there and have power up with key on or switches too without doing any chopping. they use them on oil pans often

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no clue, but thats one of my concerns... along with how much heat is available that far down the pipe. I know by that far heat has been dissipating but getting a reading w/ a thermal meter would help us know that...

Theres magnetic heating elements you could probably just slap on there and have power up with key on or switches too without doing any chopping. they use them on oil pans often

I've got a magnetic heater on my oil pan but it's too oily to tell what rating. But if you had to you could use a delco 200 amp alt off a Caddy that has the windshield defroster. That would give you about 840 watts more than our 130 amp alts.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Has anyone played with this a bit more? I have a hot-fox heated pickup for the trucks but the mercedes has a bottom pickup and it will go directly into a heat exchanger via a large fuel line, i'd like half to three quarter inch, but I thought of a 12v electric heater to help it out on cold mornings, I can't seem to find a good way to heat the tank without cutting the car up.