ZD9 WMO Fuel Heater

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just going to be running a brazed plate heat exchanger, Just start and stop on regular diesel and flip over when the engine is up to temp... simple

thats what i would do too ;Sweet

glow plugs could be dangerous with air or a leak.. be safe :angel:

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I'm driving to Waco to pick up 300 gal of WMO this coming week. A big silage operation down there uses that much every oil change. Did I say big, I mean big!

Biofarmer please, post a picture of your heater, it's worth a thousand words. Thanks.

300 gal! :sly;Sweet Here's some pics, and one pic of the ever growing relay tree...

Attachments

• heat2.jpg
    heat2.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 45
  • heat3.jpg
    heat3.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 35
  • heat4.jpg
    heat4.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 30

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
thats what i would do too ;Sweet

glow plugs could be dangerous with air or a leak.. be safe :angel:

1. Heat exchangers do not provide instant heat.
2. OB's is not the only board I belong to- these things are all over the place.
3. I can build 4 of these for the cost of 1 brazed plate heat exchanger.
4. I live and breathe safety (work for railroad) but that's almost over the top.. No insult intended at all, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it all depends on what kind of driving you do. i commute 35 minutes so running for 5 minutes or so until the engine heats up on dino diesel is a small price to pay for simplicity. plus i love having a heated tak cuz i will throw just about anything in there lol. right now i am burning a nice mix of used motor oil, used transmission fluid, a little kerosene i got from a neighbor, and some used veggy oil lol.

Last edited:

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300 gal! :sly;Sweet Here's some pics, and one pic of the ever growing relay tree...

I LIKE IT. I'm still trying to get my filters all sorted out and my usual trip to town is around 15 minutes, I'd be half way the before I'm up to temp. An instant heater would be perfect.

My wife also has a cousin that has a transmission shop about 30 mile away so I hope to score a regular source there also.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of my filter setup also.

I see you also have a coolent filter-coming soon in a truck near me!

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not knocking either method, just stating facts...

Either way you'd still want a tank heater if your really running straight oil;Really

1. Heat exchangers do not provide instant heat.
correct, but running one tank clan and one wmo/vo avoids that issue
better yet run both, heat exchanger and a glow plug fuel heater with a thermal diode to shutoff the gp when the coolant is warm. If its that cold anyway you might already have a block heater plugged in or a coolant heater in which case the system would already be warm...

2. OB's is not the only board I belong to- these things are all over the place.
i know:D i prefer the thermal shutoff but my main fear is that it'll be too late to stop a fire anyway unless you know the point at which it would sustain a fire and get something to trigger before that but then the problem is different fuels/oils would have different temperatures too. :dunno. carry a fire extinguisher is all i'd suggest. I got one and glad i did I've seen too many of these trucks that are totalled out because of burn damage from wiring. these things could be 99.999% reliable but someone will be the unlucky one who gets the .001% failure that could lead to the truck burning to the ground and spreading to their home (not necessarily over dramatized either :eek:)
3. I can build 4 of these for the cost of 1 brazed plate heat exchanger.
true. heat exchanger cannot start a fire though. I'm definitely NOT against the glowplug method though, I will probably add this when I start using waste oils if i dont just do bio. drilling two holes in a block of aluminum is a bit cheaper than a off the shelf heat exchanger too
4. I live and breathe safety (work for railroad) but that's almost over the top.. No insult intended at all, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
not sure whats over the line or why there are lines drawn... both methods work one just cost more and is safer but takes a while to heat up, the other is near instantaneously warm, easy to make, but requires power and has a small chance for fire
Nothing is personal with the convos (imo), I like both methods as well. I think that maybe the issue of safety was over-emphasized but it is worth mentioning. I like to call it constructive criticism. I doubt that any problems would arise but it was worth talking about is it not?

its a very nice design showing ingenuity , I especially like the ebay one with the safety shutoff and heat exchanger combo... wouldn't be hard to make something fancy like that either..

Think I'll bow out now LOL

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I would love to see a temp gauge in line past that glow plug setup, I bet i does not get even near 180F.

also my truck never leaves the driveway until i feel warm air blowing out the heater, so a heat exchanger is plenty good for me ;Really:sly

And not to mention running WMO on a cold engine is just dumb anyways, even if you did heat it up to 180 by the time the fuel went threw the filter and lines and IP pump and lines again its going to be cold again . Not saying its a bad system just should have better engine practices

Last edited:

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I would love to see a temp gauge in line past that glow plug setup, I bet i does not get even near 180F.

also my truck never leaves the driveway until i feel warm air blowing out the heater, so a heat exchanger is plenty good for me ;Really:sly

And not to mention running WMO on a cold engine is just dumb anyways, even if you did heat it up to 180 by the time the fuel went threw the filter and lines and IP pump and lines again its going to be cold again . Not saying its a bad system just should have better engine practices

-I would love to see a temp gauge in line past that glow plug setup also, perhaps you might purchase a nice one and mail it to me? You can PM me for my address...

-I'm usually a block or two from work before I feel any heat from the vents after a minimum of 7-8 minutes warm up on (heated) ULSD and a 30 minute commute - and remember, I'm in Florida, not B.C.

-I don't run WMO on a cold engine, I run thinned WMO on an engine that's well on its way to operating temperature, being that I don't switch tanks until I've been on the road a few miles.

-The inference that I'm dumb is somewhat insulting, please refrain from that in the future or I shall be forced to refer to you as an ass.

-180F may be a magic number for SVO, but for thinned WMO, 105-115F works wonderfully... Beyond that, the filters, lines & IP have already been warmed by the (heated) ULSD that has been flowing through them prior to my switching to the WMO tank.

-If you have read this far, hopefuly you will see that my engine practices are actually rather conservative.;Really

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Is the heater grounded by contact with the filter bracket?

only partially/poorly- if you look closely at the first photo you can just make out the hexagonal formed copper connector that has 10ga. stranded wire bak to the neg. side of the passenger battery. The pos side has a custom made connector you can see pressed onto the bullet end and is fused and switched through a solenoid.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For you guys running heavy fuels, I did some searching a while back because you really need a pump capable of pumping bunker C marine fuel to run WMO/WVO because there will always be times when cold fuel ends up getting pumped, that's why regular epumps can't hold up to the stuff.
I fould you guys one that will hold up to the job A Reverso 312 gear pump with pressure releif, medium duty I've been in contact with the folks there and it would be rated for 1500 hour life expectancy which works out to 50,000 miles equivilant by most charts, that's about average for an electric fuel pump, so considering teh application.... The internal bypas can be built at 10-35 psi with a working pressure up to 50psi, they will make them to order. They aren't cheap but when you consider how many regular pumps most of you guys are going through, it ought to work out pretty cheap in the long run.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had an idea for a tank heater for a while, but havent tried it out yet. ive been thinking about running my exhaust through it. what i mean by that building a tank to fit where my muffler is and run the exhaust pipe through the fuel tank. i am just wondeing what you guys think about that.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had an idea for a tank heater for a while, but havent tried it out yet. ive been thinking about running my exhaust through it. what i mean by that building a tank to fit where my muffler is and run the exhaust pipe through the fuel tank. i am just wondeing what you guys think about that.

might work, might be easier to put a heatercore/ tiny radiator hooked up to the coolant submerged in the tank or if your an auto the trans cooling :dunno:sly

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score

Attachments

• d_25.jpg
    d_25.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 10