You guys gotta see this picture!!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all know these engines are tough, but this is one amazing thing. This here engine was running just before I tore it out!!! :***: :Thumbs Up

I think I may have found out how the coolant was getting into the oilpan....

..looking down the #8 jug hole..

There's also a intake valve snapped off, so it looks like it dropped off a valve, and then grenaded from there. It had a nasty knock alright, but it started right up when I put it up on a flatbed(ran for about 5 minutes) and then again to get it off the flatbed, and then once more for about 5 minutes to move the truck and turn it around to make it convenient to pull the engine.

I guess the conn. rod on that jug will be toast too. Damn shame though, this was a factory turbo. I haven't pulled the other head or the pan yet, but I'm assuming this is what killed it!!!

Pretty impressive huh?!!

Zigg :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don, is that from the top or bottom? Either way...I can see there ain't that much left of the piston. Here's what you do..chunk that conn rod, and bu one new one, bam, you ahve a set. You could hoard them like Icanfixall or sell them on evil bay. Thanks for sharing.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
:eek:
As Ray's dad would say......HOLY CRAP!
So that's what the wrist pin looks like. :eek:
Guess ya got a boat anchor there for now. cookoo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just a little JB Weld will fix that..... Really too bad loosing a turbo motor. That rod may work as a core. Ford still has the rods but they are rebuilt only. I think Ken is the only person to run a set of custom $2900.00 aftermarket rods. What do you mean hoarding turbo rods..... I just have a few "personal" sets put away for a rainy day or two.... :Sly You never know when your going to be on the dark side of the moon and need a set. I'm also buying "extra" parts for my 1937 Cord Beverly Sedan. Nothing I need but things bought at a good price.... For later.... ;p

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, in the oil pan. :eek:

Dang! And here Joe was worried he may not make it home with a push rod sticking through his valve cover. LOL

Kinda hard to see, but the bore doesn't look round any more. Did the connecting rod get in behind the cylinder wall and bend something?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
If I had to guess, in the oil pan. :eek:

Dang! And here Joe was worried he may not make it home with a push rod sticking through his valve cover. LOL

Kinda hard to see, but the bore doesn't look round any more. Did the connecting rod get in behind the cylinder wall and bend something?

Oh yeah, it actually punctured through to the outside, but those broken bits you see laying there are the cylinder wall punched out into the water jacket, and the piston pin appears to have slapped around and it has actually puncehd 4 separate holes in the cylinder wall.

This baby's a boat anchor for sure....

I only needed the flex plate off it for my 6.9, so I don't really care though...

Zigg :)

tractorman86

Reaction score
hey hey hey that looks familiar somehow :puke: i have been wondering wat would cause this just a week valve or a bearing failiour :confused: ?! mine was a 91 na and had about 300k on it. but the craziest thing is that it was running better than ever right before it happened! LOL

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess its good to know what I may have in my future. I just turned 357,000 in mine. Still keeping my fingers crossed.