Yet another timing question

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, oh man, they better not have broke this new pump!
I have found an independant that is going to take a look at the timing.
The truck ran good when I picked it up, because it was hot. Had issues while on vacation with it every morning. ran ok when warm. But seemd to lack power big time.

Going to talk with the guy from the indy shop here in a few minutes, and see what he has to say.
Come to think of it, I will have to look, but I think I took the pulse adapter off of the truck because it was leaking, it is in the glove box, so how did they time it with a pulse adapter?
I did not see any obvious leaks, or dammage. And I was getting about 9MPG towning. Engine temps stayed in controll and Exhaust temps seemed to run higher on average, but the max did not change pulling the hills.

What else could they have damaged that would cause the white smoke and rough running at start up? Feels like 2-3 holes are missing till it warms up. I got to get under the hood and check it out... and have this other shop look at it. They are $50 to time it. Much better.

Again... Thanks for the help.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
I’m not sure but years ago the part that attached to the “adapter” you have in your glove box must have been larger or a dealer item (rotunda?). The new style or after market version pulse adapters clamp on the injector line itself and do not use the "adapters" that come with the engine - unless the Rotunda model's still use them? It is very important to get the pulse adapter as close to the injector as possible. Also, either the #1 or #4 injector lines can be used. Ford only specified the #1 for PU’s and #4 for van’s because that’s were they had their adapters mounted.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but I think I took the pulse adapter off of the truck .

Um.... If I read this correctly, you removed the pulse adapter on the #1 cylinder, and then put the line directly on the injector. NOT RECOMMENDED. The timing on that #1 cylinder will be off. Ask Eric Boutin. You either need to put the adapter back on, or grab a #1 injection line off a 6.9.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I went and looked. The adapter is there. On the front cyl, on the passengers side. This is the #1 correct?

thanks
Taking it in tomorrow.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take that invoice back to the place that did it wrong and demand my money back! :backoff

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I will try to get my $$ back. But at any rate... 1 known BAD place to take the truck. Too bad because the parts guys there seem so on the ball.