WVO Conversion

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Deeproots started a thread some time ago with many pics from He's conversion, You may want to take a look at it (if You have not yet), very self explanatory and not too fancy by well made.

sassyrel

Reaction score
jred---DONT DONT DONT use aluminum for the fuel lines---why--cause the vibration and bouncing on roads will crack aluminum long before copper or steel----and--you have to be extremely careful when you use aluminum around disssimiliar metals--galvanic action--corrode right off---been there---

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
jred---DONT DONT DONT use aluminum for the fuel lines---why--cause the vibration and bouncing on roads will crack aluminum long before copper or steel----and--you have to be extremely careful when you use aluminum around disssimiliar metals--galvanic action--corrode right off---been there---

now ya tell me i literally just ordered alum for the tank to the plate exchanger:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: just my luck

i thought copper causes polymerization issues......would steel be the way to go then? got to see if they can change my order now..........

o thanks Exekiel, i have neen reading back over deeproots thread, in fact thats what i used to model my setup from with some addition for more cold weather.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Don't use steel.
I don't think you'll have any problems with the aluminum, but you will find that it kinks and gets abused pretty easily, so be careful with it and don't bend and re-bend it over and over. I am not saying anything positive about Frybrid, but if it makes you feel any better that guy's been using aluminum in his kits all this time. Check the forum over there and maybe you'll find some actual customer feedback. Also, if you haven't checked out the Infopop forum there's a ton of info about this over there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about aluminum fuel line. I ran a set of high quality 1/2" aluminum fuel lines with aeroquip fittings that I got at a speed shop on an old chevy conversion van a number of years ago after doing some fancy engine stuff. I ran the thing about 130k miles before i sold the thing and the fuel lines were fine. Just watch you bend radius, don't kink it, don't bend it any more than you really need to and don't tie it down too tight, allow for frame flex. That vehicle saw some mighty rough traveling too.

I'll try not to say anything about frybrid either *cough* ripoff*cough*liar*cough* stillnevergotmystinkinfilterwrenchhepromisedtwoyearsago *cough* :angel:

-------Robert

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After running this system, I can attest to the fact that you need to get the fuel stream hot!! My tank gets cooking and it's insulated, but by the time it hits my filter, it's not very warm.

I'm just having way too much fun right now :) It's a work in progress, and it'll have some major changes by winter time.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
After running this system, I can attest to the fact that you need to get the fuel stream hot!! My tank gets cooking and it's insulated, but by the time it hits my filter, it's not very warm.

I'm just having way too much fun right now :) It's a work in progress, and it'll have some major changes by winter time.

and You are going to need that. Don't forget to FLUSH the system before You turn off the engine, maybe not a problem now but in the winter it can get very solid and plug the fuel lines for hours, don't ask how I learned that.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I had a dream the other day where I went to start my truck and saw the switch still in the WVO position. Scared me.

How'd you get it flowing again after that happened?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Haha, I had a dream the other day where I went to start my truck and saw the switch still in the WVO position. Scared me.

How'd you get it flowing again after that happened?

Don't let it happen. :backoff :D Cold oil will "coke" the injector nozzels and ruin them. Ready for a new set of injectors? LOL For someone who claims to be as broke as you...don't try to fool mother nature. She'll bite you right back in the butt and wallet.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Don't let it happen. :backoff :D Cold oil will "coke" the injector nozzels and ruin them. Ready for a new set of injectors? LOL For someone who claims to be as broke as you...don't try to fool mother nature. She'll bite you right back in the butt and wallet.

That's right, don't forget. If You do then You'll have to flush the fuel lines from the tank to the fuel filter (better have an electric pump) and replace the fuel filter, make sure You refill with ps 911 and pray for it to catch ON :hail .

Also I haven't mentioned this I think but anyone using a holley red, check the fuel screen inside the pump and remove it. The wvo eat mine away, but only that so I figured the screen was made out of copper or the like (maybe the oil got too hot too).

As for the cold oil, some say is bad but many others mix wvo without heating it (I rather do heat it) and nothing happen, now I would think cold wvo won't affect a warm engine but could hurt a cold engine if it happens all the time. If You don't believe it do it and after a few thousand miles pull and injector and see for Yourself.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right. Cold oil in a cold engine will ultimately lead to trouble. Cold oil into a hot engine is OK (IDI heats it for you, easy to verify with an IR thermometer) if you have sufficient flow. The flow can be maintained with high quality non-hydrogenated oil (very well filtered!) which is then cut with kerosene according to outside temperatures.
Jim

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i changed my order to SS line, it will be a little harder to work with but shouldent have any problem once it is set up. i am going to pass on heating the tank just yet since i want to get the system set up and i have spent enough on it already. i have been gathering parts over time to help diffuse the cost but so far i am in about $500. i have been keeping track of the parts and will put together a good list when i am done. i am sure i could have cut some cost some places but i wanted to have a reliable system with some proven parts that my grandma could use.:D

my order should be here today and i cant wait to start playing.;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle