WVO Conversion

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I am not having any luck in the alternative fuels section so i figured i will try here

i want to set up a system in my truck i have already swung the greascar switching valves and a 40 plate exchanger and a tank. but what i want to know is how do you run the coolent lines? i want to to a HIH setup back to the tank. so where do i split the heater core hoses? i want to be able to run as much of the year as possible (York, PA). should the flow be throught the heater core first then to the filter then plate exchanger and back to the tanks? or does the system run in parallel with the heater core.

can i loop the return right back to the filter?
thanks

SKimballC

Reaction score
Uh, this WVO stuff hurts my brain, but that's probably just all this usually useless knowledge trying to escape from inside my skull. I used to install those Greasecar kits and built some custom kits for a few folks too.
What you do with the heater hoses is put a5/8" tee in each of them, one in the hose from the head and one in the hose to the water pump, and run your HIH-coolant lines with them. HIH is tricky, you're going to need to get some serious fittings from McMaster-Carr. Somewhere on the Frybrid forum the proprietor posted a full parts list for doing this. I'll see if I can dig that up later. HOH is much easier but not as efficient, but if you insulate the hose bundle its not bad, especially with a big ol' 40 plate heat exchanger.
IF you want, Jred, shoot me a PM and we can discuss this more. If you like I can draw up a layout of where to tee in and how to route everything and what to do.
I gotta get back to my turbo rebuild. We'll chat later.

EDIT! here's the link to that Frybrid parts list for the HIH setup.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I am not having any luck in the alternative fuels section so i figured i will try here

i want to set up a system in my truck i have already swung the greascar switching valves and a 40 plate exchanger and a tank. but what i want to know is how do you run the coolent lines? i want to to a HIH setup back to the tank. so where do i split the heater core hoses? i want to be able to run as much of the year as possible (York, PA). should the flow be throught the heater core first then to the filter then plate exchanger and back to the tanks? or does the system run in parallel with the heater core.

can i loop the return right back to the filter?
thanks

You are welcome to come by and check My setup, I've run wvo for some time now.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
but what i want to know is how do you run the coolant lines?

Not sure how your truck is configured but here's how mine is plumbed with the Plant Drive kit. Heater core hoses are both Tee'd, one hot and one return. Hot Tee goes to Hot Fox in-tank warmer then to Vormax filter then to heat exchanger then through Arctic Fox in-aux-tank warmer then back through return Tee.

If you are doing a home made version, HERE is a DIY coolant jacket (click pdf file) for the filter.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my super-custom-awesome-homemade kit:

It consists of a copper coil in the rear tank, with PEX hoses taking the coolant back there, and the factory switching valve. I start off diesel in the front, and switch to 100% WVO in the rear when she gets warm.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I used the rear tank for the WVO because it was rusty and leaky. Fixed it with some fiberglass resin. I didn't feel bad about drilling holes in it.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
You get an "A" for determination. ;Sweet The idea is not to heat the whole tank but to super heat the fuel stream.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O hot fox fuel pickup works great to extract the oil from you tank. then the flat plat final heat exchanger is perfect for final heating. Ranger, be careful with that copper coil and a steel tank. you might run into some major polymerization issues. causing allot of clogged filters.

:dunno Guess that might help seal the rusted out tank he used:confused:

;Poke

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It depends a lot on the oil You use but, using steel tank (unless stainless steel) is not very good on the long run, the copper pipes is a different story, I have mine 3/4" longer than a year with no issues but I still plan to change that to stainless steel.

subway

Reaction score
thanks, i really want to try to get this set up together before i go in vacation down to the outer banks at the end of this month. in fact if anyone had some grease to sell me for a reasonable price on the way i would be interested.

sorry skimball i know you have been burnt before on this stuff. just hoping you could help a brother out.:D

right now i am waiting on the yard to pull my tank, its a beast off of a large box truck and for the $50 price i am not ready for stainless yet. i do plan on ordering aluminum tubing from mcmaster carr to cut down on poly issues. right now my filter is not heated but i remember a inexpensive pad heater seems to work well.

so would a good flow starting from the engine back be....split the heater lines, run through the plate exchanger, then a heated hose set up to the tank. i wasent really planning on heating the tank itself if i could avoid it unless you guys think i should? i wish i had my camera to share some more.

SKimballC

Reaction score
You can make a coil out of aluminum or copper and insert it in the tank in the area of the pick-up. Like hheynow said, heating the whole tank is wasted energy- your goal is to heat the fuel flow. It will be crucial in those cold winters to get some movement in the tank. Also, you should make a coil out of copper for your filter. Its easy. The copper comes in a loose coil, so just tighten it up a section at a time until it fits snugly over your filter and slide your rubber hose over the ends and double clamp. Then make a nice little sheetmetal shroud with a lining of insulation. Tada. As good as what you can buy.

No worries Jred, I am glad to help a brother BOOB out. I did a couple conversions for this crazy Aussie here lately that was a lot of fun, so I am over the loathing. Just don't ask me to touch any grease.:D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Jred, Keep us posted and pics would be great. I plan on running my truck on WVO as well thanks to some parts off the Blizzard. I would like to put a 38 Gallon Bronco tank in the rear, use that for WVO and the front tank for Diesel.

You may be able to get some WVO from EZ,. Shure he will chime it.

Later!

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would heat the filter with the hose. I think it is a contact thing. I have had better luck with the rubber fuel line (that I run my coolant in) against the filter as opposed to the copper tube.
I run HOH and it seems to work fine. And you do want just a little heat in the tank to keep the oil liquid when it gets cold.

Good luck.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Fuel flow diagram

You must be registered for see images

I don't have an in-line fuel pump there but have my flat plate heat exchanger there instead. My engine fuel filter is used by both tanks, not as the diagram shows. No pad heater.

Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
Fuel flow diagram

You must be registered for see images

I don't have an in-line fuel pump there but have my flat plate heat exchanger there instead. My engine fuel filter is used by both tanks, not as the diagram shows. No pad heater.

thanks, not that i have a better idea i am trying put together a list of fittings to order.

dont worry i plan on taking pictures and documenting what it takes for the rest of use.