WTB: tank switch

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I need a tank switching valve for my 85. The Ford number is E3TZ-9189-C, but it is not stamped on the valve. I bought one from an obsolete parts guy in NY, but it does not have the quick connect ports I need, just regular hose barbs. Meanwhile, I am collecting the leaking fuel in buckets and milk bottles. It started leaking right after I filled both tanks.

Anyone have one? Used is fine if it isn't leaking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
when you say switch, are you talking about the switch on the dash, or the valve on the frame rail?

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Thanks, it is the valve on the frame rail. I gave the correct part number but not the right description.

hoggie1

Reaction score
Fuel tank solenoid E3TZ-9189-C

I need a tank switching valve for my 85. The Ford number is E3TZ-9189-C, but it is not stamped on the valve. I bought one from an obsolete parts guy in NY, but it does not have the quick connect ports I need, just regular hose barbs. Meanwhile, I am collecting the leaking fuel in buckets and milk bottles. It started leaking right after I filled both tanks.

Anyone have one? Used is fine if it isn't leaking.

Do you want to sell the E3TZ-9189-C since it isn't right for your truck?

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
sure, PM me. Your settings currently do not allow you to receive ***.

Last edited:

hoggie1

Reaction score
Fuel tank solenoid E3TZ-9189-C

I am new to this community. What is PM? Does that mean phone me? How do I get in touch with you? I have a 1984 Ford F250 6.9 liter. Bought it brand new in 84. My valve is switching ok but I would like to have a spare just in case mine ever goes bad.
My email is [email protected]

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am new to this community. What is PM? Does that mean phone me? How do I get in touch with you? I have a 1984 Ford F250 6.9 liter. Bought it brand new in 84. My valve is switching ok but I would like to have a spare just in case mine ever goes bad.
My email is [email protected]

private message. You can click on a users name and select private message and send a sort of email to that user. You have to enable private messages in your user cp to send and receive them.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
The valve that I have that did not work was in fact the E3TZ-9189-C. the problem was that I trusted a dealer to give me the correct number for the part. They did not. In fact, the number I needed (and finally got) was E5TZ-9189-B.

The other number was for a gasser engine in the same truck, I believe. The ports did not point the same direction, and they were for 3/8 hose rather than the push on fittings my truck has. It would probably work for diesel, but the port locations would make it tough to use.

Hoggie,

If you still want the valve, we can get together and talk about it. I was going to try putting the port assembly from my old valve onto the new one to modify it to fit my setup, but have not started yet. Now that I have your email, I will send you one to find out.

hoggie1

Reaction score
Dual tank solenoid

The valve on my 84 F250 pickup has 2 hose barbs on it's side that mounts towards the front of the truck & 4 hose barbs on the opposite side which is towards the rear of the truck . Each fuel tank has a suction & a return hose. I have not ever taken the hoses off my valve but it appears to have 3/8" hose barbs with stainless hose clamps. A few years later I do recall the Ford F 250's & F 350's came with a slip on type connection with an o ring for preventing leakage. One of my friends had bought a newer F250 with a diesel & was sucking air at the slip-on fitting & it was mis-firing until we changed the o-ring. I guess the factory had nicked the o-ring during assembly of the truck. I am pretty sure that a 90 F250 with the 7.3 liter diesel engine uses the valve that you are looking for with the slip-on fittings because I owned this model years back until the E4OD transmission went bad on me.

hoggie1

Reaction score
Fuel tank solenoid

You have my email if you want to email me a price on it. Do you have a paypal account that I could pay you with?