WTB; F450 hydroboost brake setup

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I had figured that, I'm wondering what the differences in the actual system are. I drove a company 2006 f350 hauling vegetables around the state and it would stop pretty amazingly with10,000 extra pounds behind it

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

not getting your question...
ones powered by the power steering pump, and the other is powered by the vacuum pump??

completely different components on the power brake/hydroboost.

the PS reservoir has 2 return nipples on the HB.

the pedal has a pin higher up on the arm.

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the hydroboost is powered by the power steering pump making it capable of much higher brake pressure compared to the power brake using a vacuum pump?

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is more of a why is it capable of putting out much higher pressure rather than actual different components

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the hydroboost is powered by the power steering pump making it capable of much higher brake pressure compared to the power brake using a vacuum pump?

correct, and the geometry of the pedal changes too, has a part in the grand scheme.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I had figured that, I'm wondering what the differences in the actual system are. I drove a company 2006 f350 hauling vegetables around the state and it would stop pretty amazingly with10,000 extra pounds behind it

If that 06 was a 6.0PSD, it had hydroboost. All the PSD's 99+ came factory with hydroboost.

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm serious about doing the conversion, just so many different inputs. Read where it has to be pre 97 parts to bolt up to my firewall. Use, don't use the sd ms. Went to a parts wholesaler, they don't even show a f450 for 95, 96. So, even though I'm very mechanically inclined, I'm not sure what year parts to pursue.
On another forum, a guy gave all the part numbers, but when I crossed those numbers, they were for a 2000+ truck.
I appreciate all the info, but have only gotten more confused.
I can get a hbooster at RA for 229.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our factory vacuum assist system "can" apply 1000 lbs of braking pressure in the lines to the brakes. The hydroboost braking has the ability to make 2200 lbs of braking pressure in the same lines. We don't use all that pressure but its always there for that just in case panic stop. When I installed my hydoboost system way back in 06 my first test drive nearly planted me on the windshield. Even with my seat belt on I was not prepared for the better braking compared to the own braking I was so used to. An added bonus is we really do not have to self adjust the rear brakes because the 1 5/16 bore master cylinder can now push enough brake fluid to the rear normally out of adjustment brake shoes. Sadly the rear self adjusters never really worked so we end up with the sinking brake pedal at any stop light. You know that feeling when you start creeping forwards after a complete stop. Whats happening is the rears are way out of adjustment. So the front do ALL the stopping. that over works and heats up the rotors lots. Then once you stop and creep forwards the small mater cylinder continues pushing fluid into the rear brakes. So the truck slides forwards. Its not magic its science.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where does the hydroboost feed line come from? the return from the steering box?

gandalf

Reaction score
where does the hydroboost feed line come from? the return from the steering box?

I believe it comes from the PS pump. Look at the pictures I posted in the other thread posted by this same member.

Correction.. Maybe the thread posted by Ironmanxxx, the other current thread you've posted in.

Next Edit.. Wrong again. It was earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm serious about doing the conversion, just so many different inputs. Read where it has to be pre 97 parts to bolt up to my firewall. Use, don't use the sd ms. Went to a parts wholesaler, they don't even show a f450 for 95, 96. So, even though I'm very mechanically inclined, I'm not sure what year parts to pursue.
On another forum, a guy gave all the part numbers, but when I crossed those numbers, they were for a 2000+ truck.
I appreciate all the info, but have only gotten more confused.
I can get a hbooster at RA for 229.

Technically, there was no F-450 before 1999, when the Super Duty F-2,3,4,550 trucks were released.

In the 87-97 model years, the truck was called the F-Superduty. This is what the badge on the fender actually read. So you will need to refer to a 94 F-Superduty, the books should have that listed....

This is a Bricknose (87-91) F-Superduty Badge (the 7.5 is not factory)

You must be registered for see images attach

This is an OBS (92-97) F-Superduty Badge (The top badge has to do with the Fire Apparatus conversion) and with the PSD decal it is a 94.5-97

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this helps on your parts search.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Now I can't remember where, but a company is now producing a kit with all new products for doing hydro swap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk