Wrapping up-pipes

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used the stuff, but have heard that it causes the pipes to rust prematurely.
A guy on another forum iirc said he put on a rap... sprayed it with hi temp paint..then another rap...then more hi temp paint...

this is a big iirc.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing it because we don't get salt on the roads out here in cali. Not much rain either. It does help with boost... Keeping in the exhaust heat is like power for the turbo. The hotter it is the more power the exhaust flow has to spin the turbo. I used to work on combustion turbines where the hest going in the power side of the blades was 1650 degrees. After that heat seeing 5 stages of the blades it was down to around 940 degrees.. Still hot as hell but then it was used to heat water to steam and that was blown into the steam turbines. It was a combined cycle power plant and worked very well...

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to my limited understanding, rusted pipes isn't a problem as long as you get the pipes hot enough to completely evaporate any moisture... I was reading a thread on that subject a while back when I went through over 100 pages of threads on here. :sly

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
to my limited understanding, rusted pipes isn't a problem as long as you get the pipes hot enough to completely evaporate any moisture... I was reading a thread on that subject a while back when I went through over 100 pages of threads on here. :sly
That seems to make sense.
No I could see if being a problem further down where it doesn't get as hot, but not on the up pipes. Could use a header paint first, if it makes you feel better.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wrap just the ceramic coating, that should keep the heat in well enuff....or coat and then wrap I guess.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Even after coating plus wrap, might as well put a final coat of high temp paint to seal it all in.
Go hard or go home as they say. Lol jk

I'd like to see some people's opinions on the ceramic coating.
I've seen lots of stories of it cracking on gas engine headers. :dunno:

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I was mostly wanting to wrap the pipes to improve efficiency, not really for a huge performance gain... However if it's going to cause problems with rotting out an irreplaceable pipe i may not. The drive to work is about 20 minutes/13 miles and we do get a bit of rain and salt in the winter..

Maybe I'll just paint it with header paint and leave it at that...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've wrapped the crossover, up-pipe, and downpipe on my crew cab. I have the same turbo on my F250, as well as the same pump and injectors (all Moose). The wrapped pipes makes a significant improvment in spool time. I don't drive that rig at all during winter months so I'm not worried about salt/water being trapped in the wrap.

I bought one 50 foot roll and several packs of stainless ties to hold it on.

Best tip.......... soak it in a bucket of water before applying. It is so much easier to use when wet. Allow it to dry completely on the pipe and then install the wrapped plumbing on the truck/engine.

Heath

Last edited:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I've wrapped the crossover, up-pipe, and downpipe on my crew cab. I have the same turbo on my F250, as well as the same pump and injectors (all Moose). The wrapped pipes makes a significant improvment in spool time. I don't drive that rig at all during winter months so I'm not worried about salt/water being trapped in the wrap.

I bought one 50 foot roll and several packs of stainless ties to hold it on.

Best tip.......... soak it in a bucket of water before applying. It is so much easier to use when wet. Allow it to dry completely and then install.

Heath

How do you 'use it when wet' if you let it dry completely before installing?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrap the pipes with the insulation wet. Let it dry and then install the pipes.......... LOL

I'll edit the 1st post as I can see how poorly worded it is.:angel:

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the wet tip Heath... It will make the installation job that much easier for me...