Would you haul this? Cat D-5 on a SRW Chevy

Super_Duty_John

Reaction score
(IMO) ;) too much load for the truck LOL

I'm sure I'll get flamed but, it's definitely one for the Moron category ;) LOL LOL

You must be registered for see images

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Some people don't have any common sense :eek:

If the local RCMP/DOT seen that that guy he would be up sh*t creek without a paddle. They would pull out the portable scales and fine him per kilogram he is over his licensed gvw so you figure its arond 44,000lb GCWR which is alot over the trucks rating. I calculated the over weight fine would be 10,886 dollars Canadian then the guy would have to pay for a bigger truck to come get the trailer and machine. If the guy didn't have a CDL there is another fine.

You have to watch out now especially around here where the police have access to portable scales to weigh suspected trucks that look grossly overloaded. I can't remember the fine but its around a 1 dollar per kilogram over the licensed gvw.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Only one chain... I don't think it's gonna come flying off around a corner the thing weighs so much it ought to just sit there fine and dandy... But then again I'm a guy that loads 'em until the bumper hits the ground then says "ok we're ready - let's go"

DSteinel

Reaction score
chain it down legal, binders at each corner. Get it to sit in the best spot on the trailer so that you got some tongue weight. Make sure you got good brakes and tires on the trailer and keep it up to speed and you shouldn't have any problems. Everybody says thats too much weight, on my rig it would put me at 40,000 gross. I regularly pull 30-36k, if you know what you are doing and have good equipment it shouldn't be a problem. I am more worried about these 80 year old people with campers and motorhomes

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
as much as I would like to agree that it looks crazy, I hate to say that if he's tagged for the weight, and working brakes, he's legal :( Safety chains hooked, and breakaway cable must be attached too. But if his trailer brakes are working great, I'd rather have him behind me than someone with 10k trailered with no working brakes....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
Only one chain... I don't think it's gonna come flying off around a corner the thing weighs so much it ought to just sit there fine and dandy...
Yeah, but if something went wrong...can you imagine the carnage if that kitty-cat DID come off the trailer? :shocked:

:sorry: I've been on the water in bad weather enough that I'm super-**** about making sure things are tied down to the point that you'd need explosives to take them off LOL

Re: legality, I thought that there was a maximum trailer weight that the truck was legally rated to pull, by the manufacturer? Or is that subjective?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moron? I don't think so. Not a smart move? Without a doubt. i wouldn't even say that I am holier-than-thou in claiming that I have NEVER overloaded my trucks. That would be pure BS. I will be the first to admit that I have loaded out to 21k(F450 w/15k gvw) and finished the run safely. IMO the guy in the pic wasn't too bright on a few points. Items such as lack of sufficient tie-downs, insufficient towing vehicle, most of all....running a load like that durring the daytime. As far as I can tell in the pic, the load is properly balanced on the trailer, the rear of the truck is seeing a load but not squating. That tells me that he at minimum knows how to load. That initself is miles ahead of some of the "legal" loads seen on the road. Now, if the guy knows how to load, he prolly knows how to use his trailer brakes properly, which is also better than some legal weight loads with uneducated drivers. what is also obvious, he's using the equipment that he has. What he should have done, was do the tow at NIGHT! I really doubt there will be a truck driver who drives for a living, get out to a job and turn down a load because it is overweight. If that is the case we wouldn't have scalehouses. Have I done non-conforming runs? You bet. If it is not too far out of line, I gotta make a dollar. Will I take a different route suiting the load? You can bet on that too. Will I even do it at nite? Oh yea. If I get caught or wreck am I willing the shoulded the responsibility? If I didn't I would have walked away from the job. And I have done that too.
Here's my rub..... as you can tell I am not too concerned on the load. My concern is the dozer/trailer really his? Having had heavy equipment stolen in the past, I would want to make sure the items towed belongs to the tower or at least proof that he is authorized to move it.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest violation I see is that hes towing with a Chevy. Looks like he is maintaining a good distance cusion between him and the auto in front of him.

And yes, it looks like he is over loaded to the hilt.

Super_Duty_John

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Warden

Re: legality, I thought that there was a maximum trailer weight that the truck was legally rated to pull, by the manufacturer? Or is that subjective?

This is the gray area. The truck (or at least a 2001 F-350 Ford SRW) would be allowed 20,000# GCVW (gross combination vehicle weight) allowed by the manufacturer.
That same load would be right at 21,000# for the D-5 + 4,000# for the trailer and +8,000# for the truck, weighing in at a total 33,000# GCVW That is at least the CDL level required license and way over for liability on insurance.

We'll go around and around but, it's way overloaded by any standard. This isn't putting an extra ton of sand in the pick up, this is 13,000# over :idiot: :idiot:

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super_Duty_John
This is the gray area. The truck (or at least a 2001 F-350 Ford SRW) would be allowed 20,000# GCVW (gross combination vehicle weight) allowed by the manufacturer.
That same load would be right at 21,000# for the D-5 + 4,000# for the trailer and +8,000# for the truck, weighing in at a total 33,000# GCVW That is at least the CDL level required license and way over for liability on insurance.

We'll go around and around but, it's way overloaded by any standard. This isn't putting an extra ton of sand in the pick up, this is 13,000# over :idiot: :idiot:

The 12 ton trailer I use weighs 6500# I have hauled 26,000# on it and the guy that owns it hauled a 66' condor lift that weighs 28,000+# and he has a f350 srw. These trucks will do a lot more than they are rated for.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I looked at the picture again and I don't see any chains holding the dozer down. Legally the back should be cross chained and a chain accross the front or cross chain the front of the blade.

The machine shouldn't really slide if the tracks are sitting on clean wood if there is dirt or the wood its frosty or frozen then the machine will slip. If the tracks were sitting on steel that machine would slip around like stepping on a banana peal. All you would need is 3/8s grade 70 transport chain which is strong enough for a machine like that.

You slip a grab hook over the edge of the pad preferably the one where its just going over top of the drive sprocket then take the other end to the D ring on the oposite side of the trailer. Do the same with another chain then get the chin smashers out along with a 3' pipe and pull the chain singing tight. You have to make sure you hold on the pipe good a cam type cinch will throw a pipe a good distance or it will re-arrange your face nicely.

I have helped strap down machines from 6000lb mini excavators to EX-400 Hitachi Excavators (40 ton). I learned alot from the lowbed guys the most interesting trailer to load is a rail trailer which is a lowbed with two heavy rails the machine sits on. Its for hauling loads where height is a concern so the tracks of the machine don't rest on a deck.

If your carefull with chains and cinches your fine get in a rush you end up with pinched fingers and injured body parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online