Would you haul this? Cat D-5 on a SRW Chevy

2500cummins

Reaction score
I'm as guilty as anyone of running overloaded and know a lot of guys that haul that kind of load on a tandem dually goosneck, a pintle trailer is a bit much :rolleyes:

I have a friend who recently lost a nice Case 580 backhoe and trailer because one of his employes decided to move it with his new Dodge instead of the "slow old under powered" 10 wheeler they usually used, the four 1/2" bolts that hold the pintle to the reciever insert broke and the safety chains popped right through the tabs on the hitch, the trailer and loader rolled 1-1/2 times at about 25 mph. There were no injuries or damage to others but a total loss of his equipment.

Last edited:

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong, but you only have to have a CDL if you are using air brakes. A pickup truck regardless of wieght would not need one. If I am wrong sorry. See ya

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
this guy in the picture at least has a chance of controlling the trailer (if properly equipt, which we really don't know).

It's peanut/cotton harvesting season here in the deep south. Anyone ever see the REALLY big peanut trailers? never measured one, but I imagine their 7ft wide, 16-18ft long and 10-12ft tall. basically farm trailers with a pin hitch. big box with 4 tires.
Around here, you get paid to haul per trailer fulla peanuts, so it's very common to see a 3/4 ton truck hauling 3-5 of these trailers, no brakes, no lights.
Cruising along at 65-70mph, all the trailers just swaying like crazy.

I almost hit one the other night due to their lack of lighting....
Can't blame the farmers tho, it's hurricane season, and that 600acres of peanuts you pulled up needs to get loaded.

sometimes your a moron, sometimes you do it because you don't know any better, and sometimes you do it because you have to.

drew

twildman

Reaction score
Super_Duty_John said:
(IMO) ;) too much load for the truck LOL

I'm sure I'll get flamed but, it's definitely one for the Moron category ;) LOL LOL

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=24683

John unless you took this pic yourself, I'm calling BS on it, look very closely at the pic, the shadows on from the truck and trailer don't look right and that truck is sitting level, not squatted one little bit, no load on the tires at all, the trailer alone would make that truck sit down alot more in the back.

Just my opinion, I haul a 34 foot enclosed goose every week full of papers. I have weight slips for 43k the load is hardly ever under 28k and my truck squats with it, evenly loaded.

MudHog

Reaction score
Why is it when someone brings up something like TWildman did, the thread goes quiet? This is exactly what happened on TDS while back when John posted it back there too. Also happened when after the rules changed he posted it and I started a whole stink about it not being a question and it died shortly then too.

something smells fishy.

BMF

Reaction score
The last guy I had out to do some dozer work showed up in a '99 Dodge 1 ton towing a D-5. Looked way overloaded to me but the truck seemed to handle it fine. Worked out good for me he charged $45 an hour just like the guy I had out with 450 john deere a couple weeks earlier but did twice the work.
A guy I work with started a part time tree service several years back and hualed a 60' JLG lift all over the place with a 1 ton dodge. He did admit he was way overloaded and had more than one scare from people pulling out in front of him. He was going through a set of back tires every 15,000 miles. What's crazier than that though is that one of the ole boys working for him would tow a Bobcat with a ford ranger for him. Now he was overloaded.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
RKOCH said:
I guess I should not show you the pics of me hauling a D-8 with my F-350.
Yeah right cookoo :***:
Operating weight of a D5 is only 20500+/-
Shipping weight of a D8t is 65000 lets see the picture

rray32539

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chris said:
yep i'd say thats a big no go. the guy probably had a short distance to and figured he only needed to bind the blade down. Thats just stupid laziness. Judging by the type of pines in the photo i'd say it was somewhere down south. I don't mean to stereotype the folks down there, but i've seen more scary lookin overloaded rigs like that one than anywhere in the country , thats excluding third world countries i've been in.

Yeah, if you consider Florida to be "down South". Look closely at the trailer and you will see the Florida plate. It looks a lot like south or central Florida, too flat for L. A. or L. G.
LOL

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
Yeah right cookoo :***:
Operating weight of a D5 is only 20500+/-
Shipping weight of a D8t is 65000 lets see the picture

I did not say how far we moved it. It was only a half mile to a job site just down the road. Yes we did tho and that truck was hurting but we did it. Everyone was betting that the little old ford duelly could not pull that trailer without blowing all the tires so, We loaded it and pulled it, Very slow. The trailer was a tripple axle taddem wheel. We let all the weight sit on it to the back of the trailer so it would reduce the tounge weight. And down the road we went.

HOIB

MYRMIDON
Reaction score
twildman said:
John unless you took this pic yourself, I'm calling BS on it, look very closely at the pic, the shadows on from the truck and trailer don't look right and that truck is sitting level, not squatted one little bit, no load on the tires at all, the trailer alone would make that truck sit down alot more in the back.

Just my opinion, I haul a 34 foot enclosed goose every week full of papers. I have weight slips for 43k the load is hardly ever under 28k and my truck squats with it, evenly loaded.

HMMMMMM, very interesting, I tow my 23horse MF w/16ft car trailer and she squats.

Good eye, dude, good eye

anyway to answer the question, Yep I'm moronic enough to try er :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance