Would you haul this? Cat D-5 on a SRW Chevy

chris

Reaction score
yep i'd say thats a big no go. the guy probably had a short distance to and figured he only needed to bind the blade down. Thats just stupid laziness. Judging by the type of pines in the photo i'd say it was somewhere down south. I don't mean to stereotype the folks down there, but i've seen more scary lookin overloaded rigs like that one than anywhere in the country , thats excluding third world countries i've been in.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pacific
IIf your carefull with chains and cinches your fine get in a rush you end up with pinched fingers and injured body parts.

KW-
I got no idea how you made your living, but after all those years I have hustled tying down from scrap car bodies to heavy equipment, I still have all my fingers and toes, attached to my body no less.....but for me its a job to make money not a mental excircise.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
Originally posted by chris
yep i'd say thats a big no go. the guy probably had a short distance to and figured he only needed to bind the blade down. Thats just stupid laziness. Judging by the type of pines in the photo i'd say it was somewhere down south. I don't mean to stereotype the folks down there, but i've seen more scary lookin overloaded rigs like that one than anywhere in the country , thats excluding third world countries i've been in.

its Florida. look at the tags on the trailer.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
I've probably done a lot worse on some of the loads that I have hauled. Illegalities considered, you use what you have available to get the job done, and take responsibility if you screw up.

I should've taken a picture of the 35' support structure that I built for a marina. I only had a 12' trailer to haul it on, so I strapped it down, and headed out from my place, 5 miles to the marina, at 5a.m. on a sunday morning. Interesting load, and I passed a metro cop on the way there. He slowed down and looked, but kept going.:D

juicedcummins

Reaction score
A D5 is not that bad. I have a picture I that I will scan later of a D6 on a bumper pull with only a 9/16 drop pin no brakes etc. This was not my ride .
I have a D4 to move 200 miles next week with my ride. According to the Cat book a D4d weighs with a blade just under 15k.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Speaking of binders and body parts............. :backoff

Ok, years back at work we had a driver that was unloading the stakebed truck. We are able to back into our shop and use the big gantry. We used chains/binders back then and this fellow was not the smartest. He slipped the pipe over the binder and pushed up :eek: . Well, in doing so he DID NOT actually hold onto the pipe as he pushed up. So, you know what happened... :Sly . The pipe was now launched into outerspace, across the shop :eek: I just happened to notice this happening, and yelled "DUCK!!!" and I kneeled behind the steel bench..........but unfortunately another fellow standing there(turned my way) did not fare so well :Axed He got it square in the forehead and he turned to see what was going on :angel: . Down for the count!!!!

You could not imagine the stupidity :mad:
The driver did not even apoligize to the worker for this work of art :rolleyes:

We now use rachet straps. No more split skulls here!

ndurbin

Reaction score
That truck and trailer is more than capable of pulling that, but how well can he stop? And rather stupid to be running w/o any tie downs regardless of how far you are going.

Nathan

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i would strap it down better but i'd tow it... but i would be in the fast lane LOL

a buddy of mine used to pull a deere about that size everyday with a dodge 1 ton, never had a problem

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I was working a monster truck show a few years ago when a Dodge 3500 rolls up with a tall 53ft semi trailer with 2 10,000 lb monster trucks in it and all that go along with it. Wow is all I could say. The guy had a diesel air compressor rigged up to run the air brakes on the trailer, they were activated by electric switches off the brake lights that ran solinoids and relay valves to supply the air. That truck was hurtting bad! With I had a picture.

redneckhouston

dodge killer
Reaction score
juicedcummins said:
A D5 is not that bad. I have a picture I that I will scan later of a D6 on a bumper pull with only a 9/16 drop pin no brakes etc. This was not my ride .
I have a D4 to move 200 miles next week with my ride. According to the Cat book a D4d weighs with a blade just under 15k.
that pic wasent of a green ford f-350 was it????

yellow pavers trailer,clevis hitch, D6 ????