Would you haul this? Cat D-5 on a SRW Chevy

rip van sparky

Reaction score
John unless you took this pic yourself, I'm calling BS on it, look very closely at the pic, the shadows on from the truck and trailer don't look right and that truck is sitting level, not squatted one little bit, no load on the tires at all, the trailer alone would make that truck sit down alot more in the back

Unloaded trailers will make a truck squat. When loading a trailer, you can make the trailer do anything you want it to. I rolled my van a few times down the interstate because I foolishly had basically no tongue weight (and no trailer brakes, oops). Unless I'm hauling heavy I will load my gooseneck to actually remove some of the unloaded tongue weight from my truck so it rides a little better (it's pretty heavy).

I looked at the shadows and I didn't really notice any differences. I used to know a guy that worked in the strip pits and he said that he had used his dually to move equipment on semi lowboys, he used a dolly to set the trailer on. These newer trucks have more power than older semi's did, if you just go slow enough you can get it stopped.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
That is what we did. We used a converter dolly that went from a pintle hook on the truck and hooked the semi low boy to the dolly and caged the brakes so it would move..

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
RKOCH said:
That is what we did. We used a converter dolly that went from a pintle hook on the truck and hooked the semi low boy to the dolly and caged the brakes so it would move..
for what? what was you trying to do?

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
rip van sparky said:
These newer trucks have more power than older semi's did, if you just go slow enough you can get it stopped.

The thing you are miss is the gearing. I got a 2 ton dump with a 360 motor in it and can haul a lot more with it than I with a newer high hp pickup.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
for what? what was you trying to do?

We need to converter dolly so we had something to hook to fith wheel on the trailer to then we hooked the dolly to the trucks pintle hook. Pick up was not a fith wheel. So we had to have a way to hook them together. The traler was air brake the pickup was not so we had to disable the trailers brakes so it would move because there is no air to release them.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
RKOCH said:
We need to converter dolly so we had something to hook to fith wheel on the trailer to then we hooked the dolly to the trucks pintle hook. Pick up was not a fith wheel. So we had to have a way to hook them together. The traler was air brake the pickup was not so we had to disable the trailers brakes so it would move because there is no air to release them.
I know all about dollys and air brake I was tring to figure out why you would need one if you could haul the D8 without one what was you tring to haul that you needed it a 11? big Muskie?

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
RKOCH said:
We loaded it and pulled it, Very slow. The trailer was a tripple axle taddem wheel. We let all the weight sit on it to the back of the trailer so it would reduce the tounge weight.

RKOCH said:
We need to converter dolly so we had something to hook to fith wheel on the trailer to then we hooked the dolly to the trucks pintle hook. Pick up was not a fith wheel. So we had to have a way to hook them together.

They just bet me it could not be done that was the only reason we did it.
I am betting you are full of crap because your stories don't add up. Why would you need to load the dozer to the rear if you were using a dolly . I hope you are happy you broke the needle off my :bs meter LOL

rip van sparky

Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
I am betting you are full of crap because your stories don't add up. Why would you need to load the dozer to the rear if you were using a dolly . I hope you are happy you broke the needle off my meter

Technically, a lowboy with a converter dolly is a triple axle. You would still need to load the dozer to the rear so that the weight would be distributed evenly to all three axles. He probably assumed most were not familiar to such setups and just used a simplistic discription. Full of BS or not, look at his truck, it has rockwell axles that have 6.72 ratio and is 4x4. With the transfer case in low I'm sure that he would have enough power to pull that dozer without a trailer if he could get traction. :cheers:

Sbrem

Reaction score
twildman said:
John unless you took this pic yourself,

I think he did take the picture. He has a white van that is lettered up for his business and it looks like this picture was taken from in a white van with words on the hood.

Stephen

WILLD

Reaction score
Loads can be moved with just about anything. How safely is another story. I hauled 12K lbs of scrap iron on a broke down flatbed with a 1970 Bronco with drum brakes several times. Not because I wanted to, but because I had no other way to put food on the table. I've run 28K lbs of grain in the bed of an F500 truck, pulled 40 ft goosenecks loaded to the gills with cows with a F150. You name the type of farm load and I've probably driven in or ridden in it when it was towed. Was it smart? Define smart. Were we safe? I'm still here and so is the rest of the world. Could something bad have happened? Without a doubt, but that's why there is someone upstairs watching out for me and the rest of the world.

Sometimes you just have to make due with what you've got and hope for the best. Long before they had Cummins and Duramax engines, they had 292 I6's in C-50 chevy's that did the job just fine for their day.