WMO mixes

AmericanMade97

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a friend that is looking to make WMO and run it in his 6.0L it is an '04. 1 is this a good idea and if so can you give me some ideas on mixes. Thanks

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were my truck, the last thing I would do is try and burn WMO as alternative fuel. The old idi engines have low tolerance injectors and pumps which means they are able to withstand different fuels and viscosity grades. Now when it comes to a 6.0, the fuel system is a very complex design. Fuel pressure is extremely high and injector tolerances are very tight. This improves fuel atomization in the combustion chamber thus improving emissions and power, which was the goal when the 6.0 was designed. WMO has lots of junk in it. Acids, extremely high carbon deposits, etc. which can later lead to massive amounts of carbon deposits in engine. I am even scared to run it in my truck but have considered it many times. Ill just stick with WATF for now;Sweet. Even if the WMO is refined, it may cost your friend his fuel system....and they aren't cheap like the idi fuel setup. To replace 6.0 injectors is approximately $1500.....not including labor. I just don't see how running WMO in a 6.0 would be cost effective. Remember, this is just my opinion!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
DO NOT RUN ANYTHING EXCEPT PUMP DIESEL in a 6.0!!!!!!!!!!!

A load of bad pump diesel can kill injectors in a 6.0, and injectors are not cheap. A full set if you kill them is ~$1600 if you can find a deal. Not worth the trouble it can cause. Also... the way the computer is tuned, it cannot run over 20% non diesel (bio or W?O), because of the emission systems and tuning. Again, not my truck..... but I have a 6.0 and will never run anything but pump diesel, and a bit of power service in it..... ever!!!!!!

The 7.3 PSD is more tolerant than the 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7's...... I know from the factory the primary filter on a 6.0 is 10micron, and the secondary, engine mounted filter is 4 microns..... so the injectors are very sensitive!!!!!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I have a 7.3 idi in my '85 I'll dump a gallon or 2 of wmo as long as its fresh out of the oil pan and then I full right up and give a heavy dose of howes. I wouldn't run it straight or run a high percentage. Plus I have water **** injection so it helps clean out the cylinders.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT RUN ANYTHING EXCEPT PUMP DIESEL in a 6.0!!!!!!!!!!!

A load of bad pump diesel can kill injectors in a 6.0, and injectors are not cheap. A full set if you kill them is ~$1600 if you can find a deal. Not worth the trouble it can cause. Also... the way the computer is tuned, it cannot run over 20% non diesel (bio or W?O), because of the emission systems and tuning. Again, not my truck..... but I have a 6.0 and will never run anything but pump diesel, and a bit of power service in it..... ever!!!!!!

The 7.3 PSD is more tolerant than the 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7's...... I know from the factory the primary filter on a 6.0 is 10micron, and the secondary, engine mounted filter is 4 microns..... so the injectors are very sensitive!!!!!

would you say that the older 7.3s are more tolerant or just 7.3s in general

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

I have read of people using W?O in the PSD, not sure the mix, but running it wothout much issues. But there is no EGR system on the 7.3 PSD, no VGT, the fuel injectors are much different and the tolerances are much "wider" in the 7.3PSD. The 6.0+ uses an advanced HEUI injector, with tighter tolerances, and the High Pressure side runs higher pressures, which means the fuel side sees higher pressures also. I think the filter in the bowl in the valley of a 7.3 is a 10 or 12 micron... and is the only filter. I know on the 6.0 and the 6.4 (Use same kit) the primary filter is a 10 and the secondary is a 4 micron filter..... much higher filtration on these. Also, the soot from unburned fuel, and from "dirty" fuels will help lead to EGR Valve issues, and the VGT Veins to stick. my first thing with my 6.0 is, if it is smoking, what is wrong? A stock, or even lightly tuned (Tow/Economy) tune does not cause smoke.... or if it does, it is a light haze..... if it is belching black.... it either has a huge tune.... or it is broken!!!!!!!

I have not read of anyone using W?O in a 6.0+PSD.....

Black dawg

Reaction score

If the oil is clean, the 6.9-7.3 are pretty tolerant of the stuff. The 7.3 powerstroke works good and even starts good on the stuff. It just has to be clean.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
If the oil is clean, the 6.9-7.3 are pretty tolerant of the stuff. The 7.3 powerstroke works good and even starts good on the stuff. It just has to be clean.

we run 50/50 wmo with d2 in my buddies 2001 F250 7.3 stroke. Loves the stuff. The 6.0 will not tolerate bad fuel at all.

The IDI will burn just about anything.

AmericanMade97

Reaction score
I was talking to my dad EMD Driver and he said if you do a EGR delete and 2 other things to it you could possible run WMO. But he could not recall the exact things you need to do. so im not sure if this would help at all if you did them but could he burn WMO??

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 liter PSDs are pretty fuel pressure finicky, if you lose some fuel pressure you can lunch an injector pretty quickly.

I am a fan of a properly "fixed" 6 liter, and I'll dump lots of questionable WMO/ATF/etc in my IDI, but I would never run anything other than pump diesel in a 6 liter PSD as they are too finicky (read expensive).

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snicklas. jump over to the biofuel section and talk with petie, he's got a 01 PSD and having problems with wmo.
The clean oil question I was wondering, if you mix a batch of clean motor/ATF/hydraulic oil at 50-70% would that run better then wmo???

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts.

A set of injectors for a 6.0 will cost you more than a complete pre-computer IDI 7.3 truck.
The service history for the 6.0 is full of people with problems. It's a "sensitive engine" by all reports.
Messing with the fuel system of a 6.0 to save a couple bucks on fuel, vs what it costs to replace the parts almost qualifys you for the Darwin Awards.

The 6.9 / 7.3 engines have gone billions of miles and used about anything we've thrown at them for fuel.
Why mess with success. Sell the 6.0 and get an IDI truck.