WMO collection tip

wmoguy

Reaction score
Hey y'all thought id post this simple tip for getting good oil sources in your area. I've successfully posted 2 ads on the local craiglist section under the wanted ads asking for peoples waste oil. I've made my ads clear that I want some volume, I.e. Not picking up 2 quarts and I don't want oil full of water. Both ads have yielded good results. I fact I had a guy drop off 15 gallons of nice ATF to me tonight!yes, he brought it to me without me asking.
Turns out plenty of people are looking for ways to dispose of this stuff. All it takes is 1-2 decent sources of oil and your well on your way to super cheap fuel for your pickup.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all thought id post this simple tip for getting good oil sources in your area. I've successfully posted 2 ads on the local craiglist section under the wanted ads asking for peoples waste oil. I've made my ads clear that I want some volume, I.e. Not picking up 2 quarts and I don't want oil full of water. Both ads have yielded good results. I fact I had a guy drop off 15 gallons of nice ATF to me tonight!yes, he brought it to me without me asking.
Turns out plenty of people are looking for ways to dispose of this stuff. All it takes is 1-2 decent sources of oil and your well on your way to super cheap fuel for your pickup.

You'll also get people dropping off stale gas and other nasty stuff when your not home. I'm still thing about making a collection bin outside my shop, but am afraid of what I find find :eek:

Once it gets started, it'll be hard to stop......but it might be worth it

wmoguy

Reaction score
You'll also get people dropping off stale gas and other nasty stuff when your not home. I'm still thing about making a collection bin outside my shop, but am afraid of what I find find :eek:

Once it gets started, it'll be hard to stop......but it might be worth it

Yikes! I'd not be happy about that. Normally I wouldn't let someone just show up at my office, but I talked to this guy on the phone first.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why someone wanted to drive 10 minutes to bring me their oil when they could drop it off at Autozone, Napa, etc... for free. I didn't know this, but he said you can only drop off 7 qts. Don't know if he was right, but he said some state law prohibited a guy from dropping off more than that amt at one time.

The Clist ad thing works though. I've now had a guy with a fleet of trucks tell me he has 55 gallons a week of fresh oil I could have. Thats a SWEET deal!

wmoguy

Reaction score
Nice BD! What address do I send my invoice to for the finders fee? LOL

J/K glad the list worked for someone else too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be very careful.
iirc accumulated amounts over 55 gal stored in your garage will trigger a fire marshall visit.
it's still considered hazardous waste by local and federal authorities.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
be very careful.
iirc accumulated amounts over 55 gal stored in your garage will trigger a fire marshall visit.
it's still considered hazardous waste by local and federal authorities.

does this count for veggie?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Just got another email for 40 gallons ;Sweet

I'm zoned commercial, and my neighbors are cool :D

Geez! Thats awesome!

Good to know Towcat, I hadn't really thought about that. I don't keep that much on hand, but do have 2 55 gallon barrels in my garage. I need to get off my keyster and get rid of one of those barrels so someone doesn't get the wrong impression.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the key is not what you have but how much attention you bring to yourself. posting an ad is a good idea, but it can bring unwanted dumpers as well as government scrutiny. it's no secret CL is the best dumping ground for stolen goods, and I can tell you without hesitation there's LEO's who spend their entire day combing through CL ads. every commercial shop has to go through the red tape of getting a hazardous waste generator permit from fed EPA and that triggers documentation duties from the time you pull the drain plug to the moment a licensed and permitted oil recycling truck hauls the stuff away and they need to document how much they took too.
there's plenty of people/shops who are saddled with this paperwork burden, so when a unlicensed collector pops up, they are going to get someone's attention.
use caution. that's all I am trying to get across. nothing else.

wmoguy

Reaction score
the key is not what you have but how much attention you bring to yourself. posting an ad is a good idea, but it can bring unwanted dumpers as well as government scrutiny. it's no secret CL is the best dumping ground for stolen goods, and I can tell you without hesitation there's LEO's who spend their entire day combing through CL ads. every commercial shop has to go through the red tape of getting a hazardous waste generator permit from fed EPA and that triggers documentation duties from the time you pull the drain plug to the moment a licensed and permitted oil recycling truck hauls the stuff away and they need to document how much they took too.
there's plenty of people/shops who are saddled with this paperwork burden, so when a unlicensed collector pops up, they are going to get someone's attention.
use caution. that's all I am trying to get across. nothing else.

so to that extent, if I'm "cleaning" used motor oil (in small qtys i.e. under 40 gallons) am I potentially creating a problem for myself? The way I look at the Clist thing is to try and get some interest from a few small shops that don't want to pay to have their 150-20 gallons of oil a week taken away. Am I opening up a can of worms that way?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so to that extent, if I'm "cleaning" used motor oil (in small qtys i.e. under 40 gallons) am I potentially creating a problem for myself? The way I look at the Clist thing is to try and get some interest from a few small shops that don't want to pay to have their 150-20 gallons of oil a week taken away. Am I opening up a can of worms that way?
unless the shop is not using procedures to segregate their oil from coolant and other waste contambination, there is no licensed hauler charging to take the stuff these days. WVO, WMO are hauled away "free" and if you are a high generator, you'll get paid for the WMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online