WIRING HARNESS/ volatge reg

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know whare i can get a diesel specific wiring harness for my 86 with a 7.3?
thanks

also if the voltage regulator is bad could that cause the head lights to flicker?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty normal for them to pulse at idle. Check the grounds from the alt to reg.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What harness do you need? The one on top of the motor, or the one that runs accross the core support and into the cab?

I believe I have both.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could actually clean up the engine bay and wire in any extra's in a nice clean fashion. Ive wanted to do this for awhile, but just cant bring myself to set aside the time to do it.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the time is what gets me but ive looked around for some and cant find any so maby ill hav to put er down for a few days and redo the thing

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also if the voltage regulator is bad could that cause the head lights to flicker?

Although the regulator will probably last for years, flickering or "pulsing" headlights are a sign of a voltage regulator that is on the edge of being barely capable of doing it's job.

I have had a number of trucks of various make/model that would pulse the lights at low engine RPM, some were to the point of being really annoying.

There are such animals available as high-performance regulators that will amazingly eliminate this situation.

When the lights are flickering, put a volt-meter on the battery and watch it fluctuate; also put the probes to the back of the headlight bulb itself with brites ON and engine idling.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, the battery should act as a bit of a capacitor. If your seeing the fluctuation that much, perhaps it is a wiring problem, or time for new batts.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90% of the time, the flickering comes from the regulator having a poor ground. There is a ground wire under one of the regulator mounting bolts, so I would take it off and clean both ends and see if that helps the problem.

I believe these trucks are in limbo right now as far as restoration parts. Too old for Ford to keep parts, and not much aftermarket available. As they get older, if they become popular to restore, you will see more and more aftermarket parts, and hopefully someone will start making wiring harnesses. But it will probably be awhile before that happens.