Wipers stop at different points

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
On my 83 the wipers stop at different points, short(couple of seconds) and longer periods(about a minute), it does it on both regular running and on intermittent. It seams to be getting worse based on last nights drive. My guess is motor, gears/rods or switch, anyone know what commonly causes this? and or a way to trouble shoot?

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There a set of contacts in the wiper motor that powers the motor till it hits the park position. I have a motor on the bench I could take a picture of the contacts. Also do not waste money on a Cardon unit. It is a cleaned and painted used unit, better off with the junkyard.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad ground under dash near fuse box also and the intermittent box.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try russes fixes first. I miss read your problem I thought the wipers were not parking in the proper posistion
The park switch is in the wiper motor
to pull the wiper motor,
To pull wiper motor
1. loosen bolts on hood and slide as far forward as possible
2. remove windshield wipers
3. pull antenea and mount
4 remove 9 screws on the front of the cowl grill and 4 on top and wiggle the cowl out from its spot. (this is why you moved the hood foward)
5. Remove 4 screws holding on the wiper cover.
6. Remove clip holding wiper arms and 3 screws holding wiper on.
Also pick up some 1/2 thick foam to replace the hard brittle foam between the cowl grill and the cab.
Check the switch too. I think there is a breaker in it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 83 the wipers stop at different points, short(couple of seconds) and longer periods(about a minute), it does it on both regular running and on intermittent. It seams to be getting worse based on last nights drive. My guess is motor, gears/rods or switch, anyone know what commonly causes this? and or a way to trouble shoot?

Copied from this thread here on the exact same issue

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53685

OK there is a wicky or whatever you call it in the tech section I did some time ago on the intermittent box.

That being said, there is also a small plastic cover on the gear box of the wiper motor. carefully lift it off and look under there, the contacts for the park are under that and work off that. I had a similar problem that I thought was the intermittent box so I documented that repair.

Turns out that once I pulled the cover of the wiper motor gear box, that there is a disc attached to the main gear that rotates and makes contact with old point type ign contacts on the plastic cover. My disc fell off the gear completely it was so worn out. I replace the whole wiper motor and it has worked flawlessly since....

Just sayin it's likely the contacts in the gear box that recognize the park location is all

JM2CW

Now I have come to the conclusion....and I'm not certain but suspect one could somehow swap that disk on the rotating gear and the contacts in the plastic cover for some good ones....and you'ld be on yer way...just thinking though not sure bout that...I do know that this is likely the root of yer evil...and is an easy swap of wiper motors/trans for a known good working one...

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
OK, I read the thread from earlier this month and the Wiki. I do want to restate my problem:

The wipers park fine and intermittent works fine.

When they are doing their job of wiping in the rain they will all of a sudden stop at all different positions, they do this on both intermittent and low. Turning the switch from inter to low to high does not start them again. A few seconds to one minute and they will start wiping all by themselves.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they are doing their job of wiping in the rain they will all of a sudden stop at all different positions, they do this on both intermittent and low. Turning the switch from inter to low to high does not start them again. A few seconds to one minute and they will start wiping all by themselves.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS SAYING, THERE IS A DISK ATTACHED TO THE DRIVEN GEAR IN THE GEAR BOX ON THE WIPER MOTOR, THAT DISK HAS CONTACTS THAT CONNECT/CONTACT POINT LIKE CONTACTS THAT ARE ON THE PLASTIC GEAR BOX COVER. THAT DISK IS LIKELY SPINNING FREE ON THE GEAR AND SUDDENLY YOUR WIPERS STOP MID WIPE AT ANY LOCATION AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY START.

I HAD THIS EXACT PROBLEM AND THOUGHT IT WAS THE DELAY CONTROL MODULE, HENCE THE WIKI ARTICLE. IT STILL DID IT, IT WAS NOT UNTIL I TOOK GEAR BOX COVER OFF, THEN NOTICED THAT DISK ALL **** EYED AND OFF CENTER THAT I REALIZED WHAT WAS WRONG.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest taking lots of pics, that way if this is what the case is it can be documented here for another Tech Article or at least a sticky thread

I never did get pics of my setup didn't have a camera where and when I did mine.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiper motors on the 80-87 are a beast on to their own. The contact are activated directly by the final gear. Check the switch quite a few have breakers in them similar to the one for the headlights. Also check all pivot points tight linkage could cause excessive draw and cause the breaker to trip. After a bit the breaker will reset. Grounds cause havoc that will make no sense. I have seen poor grounds melt fuses not blow.