>>> WINTER TIPS TECHNIQUES AND ADVICE <<<

antivtec

Brown Bomber
Reaction score
i use lucas all year havnt froze in 3 winters
i got true mudders that can be studded but yet ahve not found the need going through 24 inches for fun in 4 low
i keep all spare parts and tools in the tool box except the scraper the scraper will clean off the box if needed
i got chains too
i use them when its too slipery for 2wd (rarely) and i got to go to fast for 4 low

What about 4hi?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMERGENCY FOOD ETC.

I keep one of those fancy tin gift containers with the pretty picture painted on it, like such things as fruit-cakes or cookies come in, in the cab of my truck.

I have all sorts of non-perishable goodies in it; Snickers, peanut M&Ms, Lance Nip-Chee crackers, beef-sticks, jerky, cheese-sticks, etc.

I mark the date on the packs when I put them in the can and make certain to go ahead and eat anything that has already been in there three or four years.

Whenever I get caught in a situation where I am more or less stranded, such as recently when I had to sit un-moving on the interstate for hours while a wreck was being cleared, I always have a snack.

Since I always carry a cooler anyway, I always have something good to drink.

Depending on your interests, one can also keep some crossword puzzle books, sudoku, paint-by-number, etc., or a copy of Moby **** or some other good book, thus to entertain oneself while waiting for the road to re-open. ;Really

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on your interests, one can also keep some crossword puzzle books, sudoku, paint-by-number, etc., or a copy of Moby **** or some other good book, thus to entertain oneself while waiting for the road to re-open. ;Really
Haha, that's true tho, it can get pretty boring out there - I got a power inverter hard-wired in the truck, and I always have my laptop with me on long trips, so when shooting the BS on the CB gets old I can always fire up a quick game of Halo or something :D Good call on the foods tho, those do come pretty handy - also in winter a cooler is not needed, just throw some drinks in the back of the truck and you're good.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about- good batteries, starter, glowplugs, and charging system. If you truck won't fire in 2-3 seconds in summer, it might leave ya hanging when it gets down to zero. Mine did..twice. I still need a better starter.

A suggestion- buy a drop cord that has a lighted end- glance outside, if the cord is lit up, truck is plugged in. Most of ours have these now.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TREAT YOUR FUEL --- EVERY TANK

Since the "hurricane", the price of anti-gel treatment has sky-rocketed to the point where it is too expensive to waste.

Many is the time I have heard someone say that they had put a whole bottle of "that stuff" in their tank back when winter began, assuming that that one dose will still be in there, doing it's job, long after it has went up in smoke.

Then there are those who try to dump the whole bottle in the tank, enough to treat several tanks, at every fueling, pouring as much on the ground as gets in the tank.

I have a better way.

I saved a bunch of those 32-ounce long-necked bottles from my Marvel Mystery Oil days.

I follow the "ounces/X-many-gallons" directions listed on the jug of anti-gel treatment, using an ounce-graduated measuring cup and funnel to PRE-MEASURE the treatment into the long-necked bottles.

I finish filling the bottles with clean fuel, to better mix the treatment, and to insure that it all gets into the tank, instead of clinging to the insides of the bottle.

I fill all of my bottles at one time, making some for 5-, 10-, 15-, and 20-gallons of fuel; labeling them as to what quantity they contain.

I keep some always in the truck for those times when I must fuel out on the road away from home.

For those times close to home that I know I am going to need fuel, I figure the miles driven since the last fueling, divide by my average MPG, and that tells me how many gallons of fuel I will need, thus which combination of my pre-filled bottles to take with me.

For instance, my math tells me I will require 33-gallons of fuel; I will take a 15- and a 20-gallon pre-mixed bottle, thus giving me a two gallon safety margin.

I pour in the treatment BEFORE pumping the fuel, such that the violent roiling of the fuel going into the tank thoroughly mixes the treatment.

The money I save by using ONLY the correct dosage of anti-gel easily compensates me for my time spent pre-mixing. ;Sweet

Although the MMO bottles are about as perfect as can be for this job, any preferably long-necked plastic bottle will work, such as HEET or power-steering-fluid bottles.

Another good option is to use quart-size oil bottles and one of those snouts that screws onto the bottle-neck.

You need not worry about rinsing out the oil residue, as it is actually good for your system and will not hurt a thing. ;Really

sootman73

Reaction score
yea when it snows the only action i take is locking in the hubs..... other than that the truck just starts and goes..... of course now i have this stupid short causing me to blow my abs fuse everytime...... i've gone through ten fuses since last night at 5 LOL

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..... of course now i have this stupid short causing me to blow my abs fuse everytime...... i've gone through ten fuses since last night at 5 LOL

Do you know to troubleshoot a short you can jumper the fuse with a light bulb [or any load for that matter], then you can 'read' voltage at various points along the circuit with a voltmeter or test light, until you find the short/ground?

Of course you can always use an ohmmeter if you remove power from and isolate the circuit.

Sometimes it seems easier chasing voltage than continunity.

God luck.........

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
- Check all fluids
- Have good tires
- Loose a couple PSI of air in the tires
- Weight in the back
- Excersise 4x4 monthlly throughout the year
- Grease front end and U-joints
- Check for proper operation of block heater
- Check all glow plugs for weak or burnt out ones (replace only with Motorcraft ZD9's)
- Have chains and shovel on board
- Good jumper cables
- Cab heat working good
- Block the rad, and your good to go!

You must be registered for see images attach

I probably missed some stuff but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Don't have to worry about a couple of these things this winter. I'm fresh out of diesels for winter :cry:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually,when the temps drop so does the psi in the tires.this is why you need to check them regularly in the winter.
lower tire pressure hurts fuel economy and traction in the snow both.
lower tire pressure helps with mud,but snow is much different.you want as little tire surface as possible contacting the snow.this increases the pressure to the ground for better traction.
that's why wide tires and or dual wheels suck in the snow.the pressure to the ground is more dispersed.of course the extra rolling resistance doesn't help either.
max tire pressure with the skinniest tread you can find,along with weight in bed,and you'll go like a ******.:)

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't forget jumper cables, tow a strap or chain, recovery hitch for your reciever, and a cell phone, I have a tracfone in my emergency kit with a car charger, I purchase a 1 year activation card every fall for it, it costs maybe 30-40 bucks a year, and it's there when you need it

In addition to the emergency kit I always keep some heat packs, some for hands others for your feet, and insulated coveralls or snowsuit. Cheap heat should you loose the cab heater for any reason or you have to be outside in the nasty cold. Time also to check the contents of your first aid kit. If possible be sure someone else knows your plans and when to start worrying if you are late. One never knows what could happen.......

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys off topic but where are you getting these grill covers, for example scroll up and look at diesel johns grille, I was going to make one out of some cowhide leather, but am interested in buying one like that

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good tips, Wish I woulda known about the door strip idea. I can see daylight through my driverside door cause the strip was ripped off in one failed swoop
Boy that made me LOL. Thats exactly the kind of thing that happens to me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron