>>> WINTER TIPS TECHNIQUES AND ADVICE <<<

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Critical point-- make sure that whatever you have in the back of the bed for weight is secured.

A sudden stop or a crash can turn a bag of stone or whatever into a missile headed towards you. In a good situation, you'll dent up the front of your bed, in a bad situation, it could come through the window at you. I knew of a situation where that happened to someone who was bringing concrete sacks home for a project. Luckily, no one was seriously hurt.

Years back when I had a 2wd truck and lived at the end of a barely maintained road on top of a ridge in VT, I took an old tire without rim, and laid it on the ground, on top of a sheet of plastic. Put a piece of 2x6 in it with a very large eye bolt. Mixed a couple of 80 pound bags of Sakrete and filled the tire.

I could roll the concrete filled tire up a plank into the truck, and the eye bolt, which stuck up out of the concrete, served as a way to secure the thing to tie downs.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got done sacking #5 limestone in standard 50-pound feed-sacks.

I can easily toss a 100-pound sack of feed over a tail-gate; I could barely get these sacks of rock off the ground, so I am guessing maybe 200-pounds per sack, give or take.

I put eight of these in the bed of the wife's 2WD SRW 1st Gen. Dodge/Cummins, so it should stick to the ground fairly well.

I put four of them across the rear of the bed of the son's SRW 4x4 !st Gen. Dodge/Cummins; it goes plenty good enough, the extra weight will hopefully keep the rear-end from sliding around.

My personal truck already scales over 10,000-pounds, steel flat, sleeper-bunk, 92-gallons of fuel, etc., etc.; if it spins, more weight ain't gonna help much. :eek:

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High Lift jack. They have gotten me out a bad spot a couple of times.
In addition to my block heater I have a an oil pan heater.
Looks like just about everything else has been covered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online