Windshield sealant

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this should have been posted somewhere else. If it should have, please feel free to move it.

My windshield leaks at the top.

A couple years ago, I just laid gorilla tape over top of the trim. Even though it was cold and wet, when I applied the tape, it actually sealed, and stayed that way until recently.

Now, I have removed the tape, and then removed the trim. I am about to get back out there and get it all cleaned up the best I can.

I would like people's recommendations on the best way to seal this up. I know from experience that ordinary silicone sealant, and/or RTV, neither one tend to stay very well sealed in that area.

Right now I am leaning toward "Lexell". https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lexel-10-5-fl-oz-Clear-Paintable-Solvent-Caulk/4714985 I have used this on other car windows, and have always been happy with the result. Just curious if there is something better. (Has to be inexpensive, though.)

I will probably leave the trim off. And may actually put some gorilla tape back over the area after it is sealed. I kind of liked the look of it, to be honest.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lexel is really cool stuff but it shrinks like crazy and does not hold up to UV rays.

Shrinks to less than 50% of the way it comes outta the tube, from experience. Meaning it's hard to fill up space or seal a gap with the stuff. The best way to seal a window leak is to remove it and after cleaning up the rusty bits to re-seal it with the proper windshield sealer. I don't know what it's called or what it is. Mine leaks from the top a bit too, or condenses on the roof and flows down around where my review mirror used to be. Annoying!

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not going to happen here. Maybe if I ever decide to replace the windshield. But for now, I just want to get it sealed up for a couple more years.

I've never had that experience with lexel. It has always sealed. Even when wet and/or cold. It has sealed to everything from glass to metal, to rubber, for me. And has never shrunk or opened up any gaps.

I've had some pretty bad roof leaks. Big gaps to seal up around a chimney pipe, etc. Even glued in side windows on an S-10 blazer. Never had a problem with it.

Maybe it's how you are holding your tongue when you use it. LOL (That's what gramps always said when we cut ourselves while carving, or didn't quite paint a straight line, etc. LOL)

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll tell you right off that I know hardly nothing about this, but...

How about "3M Auto Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive"? The box is labeled "Stage 2" and has what might be a stock number, "08008".

This stuff was recommended to me by Calvin. I can't remember what I was doing, but he said it's tougher than gorilla snot. Is it what you want? I really don't know.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just use windshield sealer. That's what it's made for. It comes in a tube like caulk does and you can apply it with a caulk gun. Just let it sit out in the sun and warm up for a couple of hours before you use it. It doesn't like to be squeezed out of the tube even when it's warm.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the one I have been considering instead of the lexel.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clear 100% silicone in the calk tube. Home depot or wherever. Just wear nitrile gloves so you can push it into the crevice without getting it all over your hand. You can apply that stuff underwater.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you right off that I know hardly nothing about this, but...

How about "3M Auto Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive"? The box is labeled "Stage 2" and has what might be a stock number, "08008".

This stuff was recommended to me by Calvin. I can't remember what I was doing, but he said it's tougher than gorilla snot. Is it what you want? I really don't know.
That's contact cement. It's awesome for rubber weatherstripping. You need to apply to both the surfaces, and once it's together, it's not moving.

Sergey

Reaction score
My windshield leaks at the top.

A couple years ago, I just laid gorilla tape over top of the trim. Even though it was cold and wet, when I applied the tape, it actually sealed, and stayed that way until recently.

Now, I have removed the tape, and then removed the trim.
Mine leaks too. And is doing it most of the wet season here, which is 8 months long.
I cannot seal it properly since it requires removing trim. Given the age of vehicle it is very likely those trim holding small springs and their mounting posts are all rusted away. So once I remove trim there will be no springs to keep trim in place.
So, tape on top, yes. Although it did not seal well for me, rainwater sill found a way in.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of tape did you use?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you can Micky Mouse it with enough stickum of various flavors, or do it right. All depends what you want.
I went through this for several years, and the leak problems kept getting worse.

Finally went to fast Glass in Carson City and had them cut the window out, the tape both sides of the window in and drove the 23 miles home.

Spent the next couple weeks grinding and scraping out the old sealant down to bare metal. Treated it with Phosphoric acid, and then painted it with POR. Had some rusted through holes on the lower drivers side. Used some thin fiber glass cloth saturated with POR to cover them.

Put the window back in and drove back to the glass shop. Had new glass installed for $175.

Replaced the trim clips. 16 of one type up the sides and across the top.
And 9 of another type across the bottom.
Have the part #s some where???

Next day got a foot of snow, wow cutting it close.

Probably not what most of you want to hear. but do it right and it will last a long time.
At least last winter didn`t need an umbrella, rain suite, or rubber boots while driving.

Did a search for the clips:

Don`t think you need the pop rivits the pins they attach to should be there in the body.

Goat

Last edited:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said. That's not going to happen for now. I just need it to last a couple more years.

You can't shame me by calling it mickey mouse, because that is exactly what I intend to do. LOL

Eventually I WILL do exactly as you suggest. Only when it comes down to it, I'll cut the glass out, my own self. Do all the cleaning and grinding. OSPHO and POR. Then call a mobile place to come out and put the new windshield in, at my place.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn`t shaming you, I did it too, and from reading the prior posts a lot of others do just enough to get by for another year also.

I just got tired of it and decided...screw it and just do it.

Goat

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My attempt at disarming humor. :)

I fully intend to do it right. I just can't justify or afford doing it yet.

If yer going to intentionally kludge, then you might as well do the best job of it that you can. Hence the thread...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.