Windshield sealant

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaked, and had since it was new based on what I found(good job Ford). I got a roll of the stock butyl sealant, took the window trim off, and packed the butyl into the gaps. It has been workimg for the last few years. Turns out the windshield didn't sit on the poorly installed sealant on either side of the frame and there was a dented area above the steering wheel that allowed water to flow right in. Looks to have occurred before the truck was painted at the factory.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't look to be sealed any better.

Huge gaps everywhere. And I swear it seemed like it must go right through in the areas you mention.

Proof enough for me, came when the next day, I opened the truck, and the smell of the lexell was STRONG inside the truck! Like I had installed the lexell on the inside!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else that would probably work really well as a tape is a building/roofing material.

Grace Vycor. Cut into appropriate width pieces.

There's a bonus. What's left can be applied to the insides of your door panels, the roof, the back of the cab, etc. As a sound proofer. I've used it for exactly that in an old trooper. Worked great!!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? I thought rainy season lasts about 49.5 weeks out of the year in Washington state. :joker:

:backoff
It's only like that on our Western half... Eastern WA is a totally different animal. Much dryer with harsher weather extremes. Actually I imagine it's a lot like Kansas! :joker:
But just like everything else in this state, we are known for what happens predominantly in Seattle/King County and the rest gets lumped in like it's all the same. There are actually a ton of micro-climates here and it's pretty fascinating to me.
I looked it up and @Selahdoor gets even more rain that I do! And I get about 2-3 times what Seattle gets every year.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a great, and long, summer this year!!! :)

First REAL summer in almost a decade.
Long hot summer? It was Antifa & BLM burning down the city....LOL

A year ago I was grinding down the window frame getting ready to POR it and install the new Windshield. Got it installed last day of OCT and snowed next day.
This year we got our first snow yesterday.

Goat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online