will turning up the ip turn down mpgs?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a Pyro more with a turned up n/a. A Turbo lowers egts at stock or slightly over settings

X 3!!

My N/A crew cab would bury the pyro with only a modest load on the truck or even empty with the right conditions. My turbo'ed, moose pump'ed (maxed out by the way) and moose injected with no intercooler F250 runs much lower EGT's! In fact, I've never had to back off the throttle because of EGT issues in that truck.

With that said, the crew cab now has a turbo and I hope to finish up the project in the near future and compair EGT's before and after the turbo on that truck. I maxed the IP (stock not moose) on that truck as well.

Heath

Reaction score
:hail I stand corrected, the only diesels I've ever seen pyro'd were turbo'd, but it makes sense. On a N/A where would the sender :dunno be placed?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Y pipe or up pipe within 3" of the manifold flange is a very acceptable location, and is usually facilitated rather easily on the passenger side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Fordman... It gets a little complicated but once you have done it its really easy. Tools needed are a 1/4 inch socket or end wrench. Then you will need a 5/32 allen wrench. For me it was easier to just cut off an allen wrench and hammer it into a socket. The short end of the wrench wont fit into the injection pump so don't try using that end. Look on the passenger side of the injection pump. You will see a thin metal plate that looks like home plate on a baseball diamond. Use the 1/4 inch whatever you have to remove that cover. Some fuel will drain out but thats normal. Now use a mirror and flashlite and look inside the pump. Your looking for a set screw in there. If its not there you need to bump the engine thru till its visible. I use a screw driver across the fender mounted solenoid. When you get close use a 15/16 socket and breaker bar on the crank nut. turn the crank till the screw is clearly visible. Fit the 5/32 wrench into the screw.... Turning the screw towards the front of the truck is upping the fuel. Only turn up one flat of the allen wrench at a time and test run the rig. Now finally this warning... If you don't have a working pyro you risk burning down your pistons.... Remember they are aluminum and that melts at around 1225 degrees... Some ehre wil run at 1150 all day long but.... How do you know your pyro is actually correct. Things can get soft and distort easily. I personally never run hottoer than 1050 degrees.... Some pulling rigs run as hot as 15oo degrees and get away with it.... Those engines are not grocery haulers either....

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My mileage difference was negligible. A solid motor and injection system netted me about 14.5mpg driving local. It was an awesome feeling to feel the power difference though. This is witha turbo.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a pyro, my engine is NA, but I don't see any smoke at all, even when I romp on it. Could I be too lean? Is there such a thing on a diesel? I am like Curt, I thought pyrometers were only for turbo engines.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this a old thread.no smoke means that you are not wasting fuel. I turned up my up 1 flat without a pyro and I occasionally get a light grey smoke.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling a hill on 3rd gear @3000 rpm will use more fuel than pulling that same hill in 4th @2200 rpm