will i be over weight or no?

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
my tuck is a 91 f250 excab long bed. 8800 gvw. i have it registered as a passenger vehicle in NY state. when i registered it, my insurance guy said that it was just barely under the weight limit for a passenger vehicle. now im pretty sure the truck it self is over weight as it sits with all my tools, sound system and other things in it. i might be pulling a 2 horse trailer or possibly even a goose neck flat bed trailer 4 and a hours 1 way to help my friend move. i want to know if ill be considered over weight with the gooseneck and a chevy 3500 on it? not to worried about it with the horse trailer. thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're confusing two separate issues here.
the first issue is your registered weight and registration class.
the second issue is your manufacturer's gross vehicle weight and gross combined vehicle weight.
By registering your vehicle as a passenger vehicle and NOT a commercial vehicle, puts you in a less expensive category with registration and insurance cost. If you are found in violation of your registered weight class, I'm quite sure the fines are ungodly as they are in TX and CA. If you do get into a wreck and the cause is due to towing a trailer outside of your weight class, your claim may be denied.

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
now say i took all my stuff out of my truck and was under the weight limit and then hooked on this trailer. sorry for all the questions. never pulled a trailer out of the county before and never worried about anything.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
depends on how your laws are in your state. Here in Indiana I found out when I was at the BMV a few years ago and the weight sticker on the plate said 7000 I asked what that meant. She said that was the max weight COMBINED that I could legally roll down the road. I specifically asked if that included the weight of the trailer she said yes.... I told her that the truck (Enterprise) tipped the scales at just over 8k lbs with my fat butt in the seat and full of fuel - and that I pulled a 10k trailer with a small boat on the back of that trailer (double towing) for a combined weight rolling down the road of just under 19K lbs. She said that I should have a higher weight plate but that it would increase the costs... I said that's fine just give me that plate.... I started noticing other trucks in the campgrounds and no one had a higher weight plate... me never worried about it after that.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That GN trailer big enough to haul that 3500 Chevy will weigh around 5000#, the Chevy will weigh around 8700# , your truck weighs 8800#, GCW is now 21500#. You can pull it, but I doubt that you would be legal since you have automobile insurance on it. Even pulling the horse trailer. If your 4 hrs. away that would be about 200 miles. Better check with your insurance man. The GCWR of your truck is prolly around 23000#-24000#.

Or go here.http://www.nysdmv.com/modclass.htm http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...HQ9VG93aW5nIGFuZCBIYXVsaW5n&p_li=&p_topview=1

A "90" F-350 setup like this.
You must be registered for see images
That's a 25 Ft GN

Last edited: