will a 460 zf bolt to a 7.3??

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I have a 460 zf5 mated to my 7.3idi, machined with a mag drill stuck to a plate that was bolted thru the top bolt holes. Not sure why you would use an end mill for opening up or drilling holes. The wide ratio makes 1st gear nearly useless when paired with a 7.3 when driving on roads. I launch easily in 2nd gear 99% of the time. That tall first gear combined with a 4.10 rear axle can yank down a house though. I have been pulling down some big ash trees with it recently and the only thing that gives me problems is not having enough traction.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my 460 ZF behind my 7.3. I'm 3.55 gears still so I do use 1st gear.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember all that I did when I changed mine to a wide ratio. But I don't have a big RPM gap . Shifts pretty normal as far as I am concerned. For what I pull , heavy, I would never go back to a close ratio, make the truck worthless for pulling even with 4.10 as a dually.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
there is a ratio map around here somewhere, pretty sure 1st to 2nd is a gap of 5.74 to 2.94. 1st gear in the 7.3 zf5 was 3.36 I believe? I could be wrong but I know that 1st gear on the wide ratio is about that and the 2nd gear drop is massive when compared to most other transmissions. I can get my truck up to about 8mph in 1st so it rarely gets used even when pulling a trailer. Fortunately, the 7.3 has a wide enough power band that it can handle the drop to low rpm easily.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a bolt on.....??? No it isn't. Can it and has it been done.....???? Yes, it can and something I did not too long ago. You have to modifiy the 460 ZF5's housing to make it work. Russ (typ4) was the 1st to do so, and so, it is called (at least around OB) the "typ4 mod."

See below:
I've pulled the C6 and I'm coverting the truck to a manual with a 460 ZF5 with "typ4" modifications to make it work on the IDI.

Here are the "typ4" mods being made to the 460 ZF5, the top holes were increased to 1/2 inch, the diesel adaptor plate bolted on and then used as a template for the remaining bolt holes/dowel holes:
You must be registered for see images

I used a 1/2 inch 4 fluted end mill to machine the diesel bolts holes. The reason for this is that a standard drill bit would drift toward the overlaping bolt holes in the bellhousing. The end mill with a drill press will machine the new holes straight and true.

See what I mean about the benefits of using an end mill:

Finished product:

I also modified the '91 donor transmission floor pan to work with the ZF5 and '86 T-case shifter.

'91 pan on left and '86 pan on the right. Had to use the ZF5 pan as the '86 pan would hit the top of the tranny:

The tools used to modify the tranny pan:

HERE is a tech article on the subject as well done by Goofyexponent!

Heath
Really wish we could still see those pictures. :)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread from the dead LOL

Ok here goes, I put a 460 in front of my diesel zf, .Make no mistake they are NOT the same pattern, the top two are the only ones that are close enough to work. The dowels and lower 4 holes are different. The zf behind the small v8 is not anywhere close.
I have pics and you can see where I drilled for the 460 dowels, bolts and starter. I would highlight with some colors but I dont know how to edit the photo.The daughter showed me how woooo hoooo.

Red, 460 starter holes, top thruhole, bottom tapped
blue, Diesel mtg holes
green 460 added holes, 7/16ths
brown, 460 dowel holes
magenta, diesel dowel holes

rail-mods-054mod-jpg.16126