will a 460 zf bolt to a 7.3??

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if a 460 zf bolts to a 7.3.. my buddy has a 7.3/e4od truck and wants to swap to a zf, i have a spare 460 trans and the pattern looks the same but we cant find any info on it.. thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a bolt on.....??? No it isn't. Can it and has it been done.....???? Yes, it can and something I did not too long ago. You have to modifiy the 460 ZF5's housing to make it work. Russ (typ4) was the 1st to do so, and so, it is called (at least around OB) the "typ4 mod."

See below:
I've pulled the C6 and I'm coverting the truck to a manual with a 460 ZF5 with "typ4" modifications to make it work on the IDI.

Here are the "typ4" mods being made to the 460 ZF5, the top holes were increased to 1/2 inch, the diesel adaptor plate bolted on and then used as a template for the remaining bolt holes/dowel holes:
You must be registered for see images

I used a 1/2 inch 4 fluted end mill to machine the diesel bolts holes. The reason for this is that a standard drill bit would drift toward the overlaping bolt holes in the bellhousing. The end mill with a drill press will machine the new holes straight and true.

See what I mean about the benefits of using an end mill:

Finished product:

I also modified the '91 donor transmission floor pan to work with the ZF5 and '86 T-case shifter.

'91 pan on left and '86 pan on the right. Had to use the ZF5 pan as the '86 pan would hit the top of the tranny:

The tools used to modify the tranny pan:

HERE is a tech article on the subject as well done by Goofyexponent!

Heath

Last edited:

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so in theory then if i wanted to put a 460 in my truck one day. dreaming of 2buck gas here, i could then just modify my trans and bolt the 7.3 trans to the 460.. since i'll be giving my 460 trans to my buddy now.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My 92 sports a 460 ZF, I just reamed the top two tranny holes to 1/2" with the trans still in the truck, bolted on the adapter and used it as a guide to drill the holes....That was over a year ago, works great. I have a T19 SMF and PP with a 11" disc with springs.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would work, but the first gear ratio might suck for the 460...

is it lower or higher ratio?? it can be done thou huh, cause i planned on keeping the tranny incase i one day swap to a 460. but if i can modifie the one in my truck, should the 460 ever come into play then i'll just let him have it and we'll modifie it for his 7.3.. thanks

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 92 sports a 460 ZF, I just reamed the top two tranny holes to 1/2" with the trans still in the truck, bolted on the adapter and used it as a guide to drill the holes....That was over a year ago, works great. I have a T19 SMF and PP with a 11" disc with springs.

Whoa, that sounds really easy. So enlarge the top two holes on the transmission and place on the motor, put the two top bolts in. Drill from the motor side, using the alignment plate as a guide, into the transmission and bolt as you go. As simple as that?

As for your clutch setup - I'm going from T-19 to ZF5, will the clutch work or do I need to address that as well? I currently have zero clutch problems -

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
The T19 has a 1 1/8" input shaft where the ZF has a 1 1/4" shaft, so you'll need a ZF specific clutch. You can use the SM flywheel from the T19, but you'll get that infamous gear rollover noise. That's what I did and used an 11" LUK repset kit #07-076. Worked fantastic

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The T19 has a 1 1/8" input shaft where the ZF has a 1 1/4" shaft, so you'll need a ZF specific clutch. You can use the SM flywheel from the T19, but you'll get that infamous gear rollover noise. That's what I did and used an 11" LUK repset kit #07-076. Worked fantastic

Awesome, I could care less about transmission noise, I'm driving a 25 year old 1 ton truck LOL

Very cool man - thanks for the info, looks like the swap will cost me less then $300, including the transmission.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would work, but the first gear ratio might suck for the 460...

For hauling/towing, that 1st gear and the lower reverse gear are nice.;Sweet When empty, you can just use 2nd gear from a stop.

The jump from 3rd to 4th is a bit further than I'd like, but with the US Gear, I can just underdrive 4th if needed when pulling the fifth wheel.

Heath

1984International

Reaction score
Hey so I know this is five years old now but @typ4 and or whoever else can help. I have a 460 zf5 I am gonna put behind my turbocharged 6.9 IDI. When I click on the links posted to images outlining the process of drilling/modifying the bellhousing I get taken to basically an empty page. Can anyone post a fresh set of pictures or links? I am replacing an Allison 545 in perfect condition, I'll trade it for a rebuilt zf s5-47 2wd

1984International

Reaction score
I actually want the taller gear ratios of the gasser model that's why I got it, but I had read the bolt pattern was the same. Turns out the bell is right but the holes arent lined up. I have a 3spd auxiliary transmission currently and will be keeping it. Giving me 15 forward speeds. And I don't even know what my theoretical top speed will be! With 45% overdrive on top of the zfs 5th gear

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I actually want the taller gear ratios of the gasser model that's why I got it, but I had read the bolt pattern was the same. Turns out the bell is right but the holes arent lined up. I have a 3spd auxiliary transmission currently and will be keeping it. Giving me 15 forward speeds. And I don't even know what my theoretical top speed will be! With 45% overdrive on top of the zfs 5th gear

super thread resurrection, there are numerous threads on this, I'm sure one has pictures

as far as your theoretical top speed, you'll never reach it, the overdrive at .45:1 gives an overall trans gearing of .315:1, you'll probably slow down if you try on an IDI.....

your theopretical top speed on a 285/75R16 3.55 rear would be about 279mph at 3200rpm unless I fubared the math

just redid the math, nope, I'm right, and on a 4.11 rear it's be about 250mph at the same

1984International

Reaction score
My rear end is running 5.07s, it's a five ton Rated international s1700. It would be a hell of a thing to take it down to the salt flats and catch a good tail wind haha. All of the links in these threads seem to be out dated