why would truck overheat in the cold?

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
I have 7.3l. its somewhere around 15 degrees and it all of the sudden started to overheat and then the radiator started leaking boiling water.... what are your thoughts...?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Or antifreeze thats not good enough. It has a tendency to freeze in the rad. as you drive down the road. The hot boiling water comes from the upper rad hose, and cannot flow through the rad.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yep. my bet is frozen radiator. better get some antifreeze in there pronto.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
freezing in the fins kinda stuck out to me too since it never happened til it got COLD.
Ken

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
yes thats how my gran pa ruined his flat head v8 that was in his 53 ford he didnt have enough antifreeze in it and it froze and busted going do the road, and it cracked the block:eek:

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this happen to me the other day with my 6.9. I thought it was awfully odd, and luckily, I was near a parts store. Knowing my antifreeze was up to *****, I took a shot at the old rad cap being worn. New 13lb cap, and hasn't happened again.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Pretty cold up in Winnipeg right now for sure.....its supposed to be -30F here in Bismarck tonight.....

Yeah, probably froze the fluid......

Thad

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
It's -6f here - I run 2/3's green prestone and 1/3 distilled with two bottles of fw16 - I had the overtemp light come on the other morning - pretty sure it was due to ridiculously cold temps. Had my reverse lights on for a while while in 1st gear too.

Man it's goram cold.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
It's -6f here - I run 2/3's green prestone and 1/3 distilled with two bottles of fw16 - I had the overtemp light come on the other morning - pretty sure it was due to ridiculously cold temps. Had my reverse lights on for a while while in 1st gear too.

Man it's goram cold.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging by this guys comments I'm going to assume an IDI is up to the task if properly cared for. ;Really