Why do I want an IDI?

ludakris

Reaction score
So, I have been looking at trucks for awhile and am thinking an F-250 or 350.. but I cant decide 460 or 7.3L.. if it were a turbo it would not be a question, but I have found a few non-turbo's with very attractive prices..
I will be using this for "truck" duties around the house as well as towing my jeep to offroad parks (100-200 miles one way) a few times a year..
So, why do I want a non-turbo diesel over a gasser? What kind of mileage can I expect towing? Are they a dog on acceleration? can a later PSD be swapped in rather easily?

Thanks guys, I am new to the forum and have never owned a ford.. more of a dodge guy, but for used I am liking the fords...

Thanks,
Kris

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 460 gasser gets about 6MPG not towing. An IDI gets about 12-14 towing and higher not towing depending on how hard you push it. A PSD engine would be a major job swapping in an IDI year truck because all the electricals would have to be swapped in also. Not only the electricals from under the hood but I think the electricals inside the cab also.

As for PSD and IDI differences the IDI's parts are cheaper and easier to repair if needed. Injectors for a PSD run a couple hundred dollars each where as an IDI injector runs about $20 or so each. A turbo can always be added to a healthy IDI.

Glow plugs for an IDI are easier to replace than the ones in a PSD because the IDI are out in the open while the PSD glow plugs are under the valve covers.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
mileage is always higher with a diesel so you will get more miles under you for less money....

Now a non turbo diesel is not going to be a rocket by any stretch of the means - yes it will do the job it will just do it slower. Towing it will handle the weight but it will be slower than the 460 up the hills but at a much cheaper cost of operation.

As stated the PSD is will be very expensive to swap in at a later time, now the injectors I doubt at quite 200 a piece that was years ago and they have come down in price not quite as low as the mechanical sticks but close.

But for the price of an engine swap you would probably be better off just getting a truck with a PSD already in it if that is what you want. Doing the convert would be very very costly.

ludakris

Reaction score
Thanks for the info..
Its not that I would be planning on a swap.. I was just looking to the future, if I had to replace the engine I know they sell full PSD's ready to go for about $3K, so if it was an easy ordeal I would go that route..
The mileage sounds pretty decent, guess I will have to go take a look at one.. and I am all about cheaper parts!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
460 uses a lot more fuel.

Personally if I was buying a diesel and had the money to spend I would get a PSD over an IDI. Better motor, more power. The drawback is when repairs are needed the PSD parts can be a LOT more.

PSD motors may come cheap, but without the computer and wiring harness they will not run..... To do a swap into a IDI truck you basically need a PSD donor truck.

ludakris

Reaction score
Personally if I was buying a diesel and had the money.

There is the limiting factor.. I have a budget of under $5K.. the PSD trucks are like freaking gold around here.. This will be a 4th vehicle.. so high miles isnt a factor.. and the reason I brought up a PSD swap would be waaaayy in the future if need be..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One way to look at it, is the IDI is considered a solid performing heavy duty diesel. It will sit there and crank out the rated horsepower all day if need be, and do it with less fuel than an equivelant gas engine. A gas engine running at full power is likely to overheat, pre-detonate, foul the plugs, or any other manner of failure. A well maintained IDI is a hands off engine. You just run it, and it does what you ask. For towing, there is no comparison between a diesel and a gas engine. Torque is what you want, and the diesel delivers it. Yea, it might be slower over that hill than a gas engine, but it will get you up and over it without argument. Most guys opt for the turbo eventually because they want more speed. More power allows you to climb hills in higher gears, hence more speed. So really, Cummins, PSD, IDI or some other diesel, it's a question of money and speed. They all drink the same stuff, and work the same way more or less.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
are you looking for a 4x4 or 2wd, 5spd or auto? standard or x-cab? the reason i am asking is because i know of some around here (near martinsburg wv) that are for sale. it all depends on what your looking for

Welcome to the site, hope you like it here, i know i have, if you need any info use the search forum command in upper right hand corner, it has helped me numerous times. these guys in this forum are ;Sweet :thumbsup:

ludakris

Reaction score
I am looking for 4wd, ext cab, prefereably AT but I could go MT.

I missed out on one this past weekend..

Looking for decent shape, good price...

thanks for the welcome.. I am usually lurking around the 4x4 and Jeep boards.. I have never owned a diesel or Ford.. so I have been searching all over this site..

Last edited:

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
if i find one that meets your description i will certainly let ya know, i know where there are a couple standard cabs at, but only 1 x cab, its a 7.3, 87-91 body style, auto, 4wd, it has a utility bed on it at the moment, i can see what the guy wants for it if interested

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is the limiting factor.. I have a budget of under $5K.. the PSD trucks are like freaking gold around here.. This will be a 4th vehicle.. so high miles isnt a factor.. and the reason I brought up a PSD swap would be waaaayy in the future if need be..

And that's exactly why all of my company trucks have been NA IDI diesels. Plain and simple they are cheaper.

I just hate to see someone buy an IDI then spend thousands trying to make it perform like a PSD will out of the box.

ludakris

Reaction score
One way to look at it, is the IDI is considered a solid performing heavy duty diesel. It will sit there and crank out the rated horsepower all day if need be, and do it with less fuel than an equivelant gas engine. A gas engine running at full power is likely to overheat, pre-detonate, foul the plugs, or any other manner of failure. A well maintained IDI is a hands off engine. You just run it, and it does what you ask. For towing, there is no comparison between a diesel and a gas engine. Torque is what you want, and the diesel delivers it. Yea, it might be slower over that hill than a gas engine, but it will get you up and over it without argument. Most guys opt for the turbo eventually because they want more speed. More power allows you to climb hills in higher gears, hence more speed. So really, Cummins, PSD, IDI or some other diesel, it's a question of money and speed. They all drink the same stuff, and work the same way more or less.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.. Thanks. I think I have my search for a truck narrowed down to a diesel.. most likely an IDI...