why are these trucks so rare?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the " I didn't know they made a diesel in 86" all the time. Sure she looks rough and rides rough but that's what I like. Just an old farm truck that isn't afraid of a dent.

I really don't see many IDI's around me. Almost no 83-86 on the road. Couple 87-94 around

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Im in Michigan and I see at least a dozen or so IDIs on the road if I go out of town. In town I see a ton of Ford trucks, not so many IDIs in town, but they are definitly common out here. I see more Ford pickups on the road here than anything else.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres plenty up here in Alaska
In 08 on my way up to Alaska, seen quite a few abandoned up thru the Yukon. Seen lots of yards full of trucks and cars, seemed like anyone that had a couple of acres, went out and scavenged the abandoned vehicles, hauled them into there yard to sell as parts. Probably cost a fortune to have them towed and repaired up there. Seen a few IDI's around Soldotna, Kenai and Homer.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually there are quite a few in my little neighborhood not just my yard either:rotflmaocookoo but actually quite a few around this area.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have to agree that it may be a regional thing as to how common these trucks are. I think where I live in southern California, old diesel trucks are looked down upon by a lot of people unfortunately. Another thing is that around here want their expensive cars, they wouldn't want to be caught dead driving an older truck. For those who do have diesels, it seems they want something that will turn heads such as a Superduty with a gigantic lift and banks power emblems everywhere. Just my 2 cents.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is interesting. I only recall seeing one OBS dually idi (had the turbo diesel badges, I would presume it wasn't a stroke) since I've had mine. I have to admit though, I didn't really know much about them until then, so I wasn't exactly looking for them. Up here it's a majority super duty strokes, duramax trucks and cummins. In that order. Some obs strokes, but not a whole lot of those either. As someone else said, the bodies get destroyed pretty quickly up here, so a 20 year old truck is generally rotted out whenever I see one. There's a few exceptions, my truck is 35 years old and pretty dang solid for it's age. I wish we had more idi's up here, but I think they've all pretty much been through the salvage yard and scrapped at this point. I've only ever seen one idi in the yard and I got the IP for $50 and some other odds n ends, that's it though.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very few obs ford pick ups running around in NJ in general. Salt and the owners of these trucks plowing with them has taken there toll on them. hell I know landscapers with 2005 and 2006 Ford pick ups that the bed is already rusted out on. I've been looking for a obs F superduty to redo and build into my new welding rig but can't find one around here anymore.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea up here in the salt belt has made alot of these trucks extinct. My truck is relatively rare considering its a 4 door dually idi late obs. All the young punks think my trucks a powerstroke and that im BS'ing them.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
plenty of them around here, and people know what they are (I get asked regularly by random people outside Napa and Oh-really's "That's an IDI isn't it?")
as far as them being sold for high prices, that's because around here people don't get rid of them (especially the farmers)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yea up here in the salt belt has made alot of these trucks extinct. My truck is relatively rare considering its a 4 door dually idi late obs. All the young punks think my trucks a powerstroke and that im BS'ing them.

My brother has a 93 idi cc dually also.

This one rodeo wannabe punk was trying to tell me that my 94 psd is a idi. Lol
He was like are you sure? Let me see the engine. I should've said it was a v8 Cummins. Lololol

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Very very few 80-86 on the roads around here anymore. A few years ago I remember seeing them all over. I see a decent amount of 87-97, enough that they don't stand out to me unless they're lifted, though it is a lot fewer than a few years back. I want to say it was around that ****** cash for clunkers program, basically a tax on the poor, that I began seeing significantly fewer 80-97 trucks.

As for diesels, I don't notice many IDIs around here. Very few of them. There are a fair amount of OBS powerstrokes but I wouldn't say a lot of them. When I was looking for my IDI I had a 500 mile radius search and it took a while to find a decent one that I could work with. I blame the government/cash for clunkers, as well as salting in the winter here. Most people aren't going to be interested in doing cab corners, floor pans, bed sides, etc. on an old pickup so they get scrapped. Personally in my eyes these trucks still look like new trucks to me, I don't really consider it "old" unless it's mid 70s or older. They're good trucks, they do what I need them to reliably so I have no problem keeping it running and presentable indefinitely. Any "upgrade" would be to an older truck that I may like better. Most people I know don't think like that and are content essentially renting a vehicle their whole life, happy to get a new disposable econobox every few years.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here in York pa I see a lot of obs ps, never seen an idi. there is not many 86-92 any more at all, cant even find any in the pick n pull yards. they say they don't sell the parts and shred them all. just an fyi the American rock salt distribution for York area used 35,000 ton of salt so far this year, and this is one of six distribution places in pa. that's why I see so many 05-08 with rust over rear fenders. nissian recalled over 10,000 pathfinders in the northeast region for rust being a safety issue when the front struts fall out