why are these trucks so rare?

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a few IDI's spread out here, not many 6.9's mostly 7.3's. see a lot more in rural farm towns than around the cities, they are also over price for the most part or the owners won't sell them. I got lucky on my IDI's price wise but they are both pretty rough, been looking for a CCLB f350 4x4 IDI for a long time, even beat to hell they still want between 3000-5000. Lots of OBS powerstroke a though, usually can be had to same price as a good condition IDI

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont think the IDI's are that rare, actually. Looking at it statistically, IDI's sold somewhere in the 30-40% range for all engines offered in F-250/350's from 83+

Thats a lot when you consider that takes the 4.9, 5.0 carb, 5.0 EFI, 5.8, and 460 into count.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my area of FL i don't see too many that have IDIs in them, i often get asked how i like the 460, and people are shocked when i say its actually a turbo diesel... i honestly never knew or heard of the IDI till i bought my truck.. will have to admit that soon as i scrape up the money, the IDI is coming out of mine for a cummins swap..

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I ran into this guy who was trying to convince me that trucks in the early to mid 80's never had diesels so it must have been swapped in at some point. I couldn't convince him that yes these trucks did have a diesel engine option.

A diesel mechanic that I had work on my truck once couldn't believe that my truck had a turbo, he said he had never seen a 6.9 with a turbo on it before. Probably about 1/2 the 6.9s I see on craiglist have been turboed so I think they are more common than people realize.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see tons of gas burners around town but rarely do i see an idi. I remember working on them in the past. Now none to be found. Is it lack of knowledge people have about air leaks and return line caps? Scrapped over a bad injection pump?

Every time i see an older ford i look at the emblem on the front and all i see is "efi" which = gas burner

I think the real reason is that diesels are mostly purchased by companies and people who work the **** out of them. Rode hard and put away wet... Lots of gassers are used by city folk, only to pull the boat or camper, cause it looks good, etc... and don't get the same use and abuse as a rubber-floored work truck. Back in '94 I think the diesel was around a $5,000 upgrade - this was too expensive for a commuter or driveway queen where it could be preserved.

I see lots of diesel trucks here that are less than 10 years old - absolutely no way I would trade them straight up for mine. They are rusted out and beat on. I get lots of smiles and appreciative waves from people who know what my truck is and recognize its condition... or maybe they are waving at me??? :rotflmao

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i guess the idi is just rare around here. I do see lots of trucks that look like mine but a closer look and i see a powerstroke emblem on the fender so whatever year that is is popular here.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Pay attention around me, the IDI's are still toughin' it out and doing work duty. You have to pay attention though, these work beasts rarely stand out, quiet, stock exhaust, half beat to death but still plugging along.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they're not common down here, but not rare either. Guy down the road has one just like mine, and there is a super nice 83-86 F-250 Std cab 4x4 4speed that an old man drives. You see a fair amount of CC duallies, and lots of 2wd extd and std cab 250s. CCLB SRW 4x4's are rare, but I think thats everywhere.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Im in Michigan and I see at least a dozen or so IDIs on the road if I go out of town. In town I see a ton of Ford trucks, not so many IDIs in town, but they are definitly common out here. I see more Ford pickups on the road here than anything else.

Never see any in Midland/Sanford/etc... Have only seen one since I got home 5 months ago, lifted white and black one with cat stickers all over at Midland TSC.

Last edited: