Which side of the key?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to go get a key double-cut. Does anybody remember which side of the key the lock uses? I have one key that's already double cut and I want to make sure I copy the correct side. So in other words, does the steering column use the top or bottom of the key? For those of you unfamiliar with double-cutting, what it means is if you have two fords of our vintage, you can put both trucks on one key, because only one side is used. You just put the key in one way for one truck, and the other way for the other one. I usually cut a notch in the handle to remember notch up or notch down depending on the vehicle I want to get in.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to go get a key double-cut. Does anybody remember which side of the key the lock uses? I have one key that's already double cut and I want to make sure I copy the correct side. So in other words, does the steering column use the top or bottom of the key? For those of you unfamiliar with double-cutting, what it means is if you have two fords of our vintage, you can put both trucks on one key, because only one side is used. You just put the key in one way for one truck, and the other way for the other one. I usually cut a notch in the handle to remember notch up or notch down depending on the vehicle I want to get in.
mel-
same side as the cylinder release pin. "bottom" would be my guess.
can post pics this evening.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you unfamiliar with double-cutting, what it means is if you have two fords of our vintage, you can put both trucks on one key,

Ohhhh. Didn't know you could do that. Thanks....Taught an old dog a new trick.;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to do one better and put door locks in out of the 79 truck so I dont have to carry around the round key. But I will probably get the 79 cylinders keyed to the ign cylinder, double cutting would work but most people would jam it in and mess up the locks. guess I wont let anyone else drive MY truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Keys are made. That reduced my keyring load by 2. It was getting hard to see the glow plug. :D

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of the newer Fords with the 10-cut (longer key) locks you can double cut too.

You can also have a "valet key" made that will open the doors but not work the ignition, just leave the 4 cuts towards the tip off. (First 6 cuts are for the ignition, last 6 cuts are for the door, the middle 2 cuts overlap both).

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

An old he-**** showed me the double-cut trick many years ago.

What annoys me is these vehicles that use the same key for doors as ignition; someone sends me somewhere in the truck, with only one key, and even though that one key will work doors and ignition, I can't leave the engine run and lock the doors at the same time.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score

An old he-**** showed me the double-cut trick many years ago.

What annoys me is these vehicles that use the same key for doors as ignition; someone sends me somewhere in the truck, with only one key, and even though that one key will work doors and ignition, I can't leave the engine run and lock the doors at the same time.

That's why I always have a spare key in my wallet. Of course if it's not your rig then that won't help.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of the newer Fords with the 10-cut (longer key) locks you can double cut too.

You can also have a "valet key" made that will open the doors but not work the ignition, just leave the 4 cuts towards the tip off. (First 6 cuts are for the ignition, last 6 cuts are for the door, the middle 2 cuts overlap both).

That's a good tip. I didn't know about that one. Right now though, I only have one vehicle with the longer key, so that one will have to wait.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So what's the point of a "valet" key if the valet can't drive it to the parking spot? Just curious about this.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I know that wasn't the right word for it. But it was shorter than "A spare key that you can open the door with, but not drive the car away with".

So I guess a valet key would be the other way around, you leave the 4 cuts off for the door / trunk.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score

My 93 has been able to remove the ignition key while it is running since the day I bought it new. I love that!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the same key will start both of my trucks.keys from almost any 92-97 will start both of my trucks.the ignition cylinder is so worn out in the one that it dont need a key at all.both are worn enough that i can pull the key out while they are running.really dont care to fix it as if somebody wants the trucks bad enough they will get them.this way it just lessons the damage done while they try to get them or possible damage if they cant get them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online