Which version of OD off?

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
So I have one of the infamous E40Ds and sometimes I want to drive around w/ the OD off. Like if I'm just driving around in some town and the speed limit is never more than 45 or 50 max.
Which would be better, just just turning it off on the shift lever, or downshifting to the "D" w/ no "O" on it?
Is one better than the other? Or maybe they both do the same thing even though one is electronically activated and the other is mechanical?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd leave it on and keep the RPMs lower. The button on the end of the shifter turns the OD on and off.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I'd leave it on and keep the RPMs lower. The button on the end of the shifter turns the OD on and off.
I've done that but prefer to have the better response in city traffic. It's not like this beast is light.
I know how to turn it off, was just wondering if one method was better than the other.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen both options in the same vehicle. The e4od normally only have
P R N OD 2 1 with the od off button on shifter handle.

The AOD trans has P R N OD D 1. but the diesel never had an option for the AOD.

I kinda wonder if someone switched the shift indicator from an AOD truck.

James

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
With that being the case I would say that there is an AOD instrument cluster in here. I know that it has an E40D since we had it rebuilt, and I also know that the instrument cluster has been replaced twice.

So putting it in D would be like putting it in second gear. Not what I want to do in this situation.

Thanks for that bit of knowledge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online