What would y'all do?

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Some of you may have noticed that i haven't posted in a while, my truck had been smoking white pretty bad, so i replaced all eight injectors. Didn't help, took her to the shop and they just told me the #3 cylinder has 100 psi of pressure while the others are above 350 psi :puke: so ive already got about 10,000 in this truck and now this! ***? anybody and everybody's advice is appreciated.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if this is your only ride or not.

You'll probably get $2000 for your truck if you're lucky. Certainly won't get anywhere near what you've put into it.

I'm in the same boat. To me, the most sensible option has been to fix the truck and keep it rolling. You get a warranty on a new engine or any work done, and don't lose the money you've already spent for other upgrades.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I'd get a second opionion. Could be they made a mistake. If that cylinder really is low, I would disconnect the injector line to that cylinder and put a rubber hose over the injector line to catch the fuel in a container while you go on your test run. If that cylinder is to blame for your smoke, then the smoke problem should go away while you merrily run on 7 cylinders. Might be nothing more than a cracked valve seat.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, before making any drastic decisions, I would do some snooping around in the engine compartment and try to figure out why that one cylinder's so low. Cracked piston? Cracked block? Cracked head? Broken ring? Blown gasket? Or what?

Also, I know that you're in a college dorm room...is there any way in Hades that the school will let you do any work on your engine with the truck parked on campus? Or, is there a place nearby that you can park the truck and do the work on it? If there's absolutely nowhere to work on the truck, this is a bad thing...unless you've got a cracked block or head or have no tools with you at school, this is something you SHOULD be capable of repairing on your own...if you have the space to work on the truck in and the time to do it.

I think Mike's right, though; there's no way you could get out of your truck even a reasonable percentage of what you've put into her...but, if you need reliable transportation and can't repair the truck (for $$ or time/space issues), you may not have a choice BUT to sell. :(

As to what I would do...if I found something like this with my truck, I would sacrifice a LOT to repair her. But, I have a very unique relationship with my truck, so that probably doesn't really mean much to your situation...

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
definatly need to find out why that cylinder is low,may have to pull that head off to get a closer look.
did the smoke happen all at once?
does it miss at all?
any funny noises?
any extra oil comsuption?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you hearing any funny popping noises out the intake or exhaust? If not, pull the oil filler cap and take a look at your blow-by output. check at idle and off idle. report back with findings. ;Sweet

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
FIRST OF ALL thanks for all the advice :hail,

I dont have the time or space (and very few tools here) to tear the truck down myself... plus winter is setting in up here in CO, with rain and snow coming once a week :mad: outside working would be pretty taxing.

The shop said they checked the valves and they were ok...i dont know how they could do that but i will say that she started hard, and didnt make any odd woofing noises, she just ran rough and smoked way too much, they said that its the #3 cylinder...any significance to that?

ive pretty much come to the descision that i cant afford any diesel truck at this point in my life, and i think if i swapped motors i wouldn't even be able to cover that bill with the sale. Part it out? i dunno guys, im working through all this engineering in school and am totally taxed out (financially and emotionally) here

No matter what i will always appreciate all the help i got from this site :hail

Cal: cdr blowby was pretty minimal before and after the onset of the smoke
. smoking started pretty abruptly, only driven 10-15 miles in that condition...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go get a second opinion.
If you have lost your valves, you would be hearing the woofing.
if you lost a piston, you would be getting an incredible amount of blow-by which will show up through the oil filler cap, not to mention oil leaks like noone's business. I drove back from TX to CA with a woofer, occasionally the pistion would knock the valve shut. cookoo It was going to be costly either way, so I went for broke. IIRC, you are running a perf low alt pump in CO. you may be overfeuling and it will show up in funny ways. Don't despair yet. If nothing else, get a hold of Rob and meet up with him. maybe he can give you some ideas on what's up.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Nick, I’ll post more on this later tonight, I have to run to pick up my daughter. But don’t despair. A college kid with car problems is nothing new. There are 3 things you need to do to make all of us here proud:
1. get a good education up that school
2. chase lots of tail
3. Still be an IDI guy when you come out on the other side. (you’re one of the youngest guys we have on here. If not the youngest. We need to hold on to you guys or these trucks will die with us old farts)
Like I said, I’ll post later tonight. But if you get a chance, measure how tall that beast is to the top of the cab, and to the top of the stack. Is the stack easily removed?

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Truck is at the shop still, they are waiting to hear from me. Well the stack is level with the top of the cab and it has 285's and a four inch lift, so if anyone could measure a stock f250 4x4 and add 5 inches that probably be about right. Thanks for the encouragement, Im very lucky to have my mom because she has been the key to me getting this far. But this scenario has even got her down :sorry: so in a nutshell the only positive info im gettin is from you guys, thanks again :hail

On edit: BTW Classes are going great, and consider the tail officially under pursuit. ;Sweet

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
OK, let’s assume that your shop is correct just for the sake of argument.

You need to do what Mel said and see if the rough running stays and the smoke clears. If this works, then I think you can count on your shop being right. If not, more troubleshooting will be required.

Next point, you mention that the shop said the valves look ok. All I can figure is they pulled the valve cover to inspect the springs on #3 to see if they were broken. You may want to call and ask for clarification.

Ok, so lets say that #3 is low. There are only 5 things that can cause this.
1. valves or seat
2. piston or ring
3. head gasket / warped cracked head
4. injector not sealed
5. big time cavitation hole

I think you can rule out #2 judging by your blow by test.
And If you don’t have a water in oil / oil in water condition, an there isn’t any bubbles coming out of the radiator while she is running at temp, I think you can rule out #5

So that leaves 1, 3, and 4. Of the options left, #4 is the easiest to eliminate. Mix up some soapy water with dishwashing liquid and smear it all around the base of that injector. While she is running see if it turns into a bubble machine. If not then you are down to #1 & #3. Normally on a 7.3, I would say it aint the head gasket. But you’ve got that LP system, so it is a large possibility.

Neither 1 or 3 is an easy cheap fix in the Colorado winter. So, I think if you get to this point there are some possible options. We could see how the board feels about light running on 7 cylinders with the injector line plumbed into the return while you wait for warmer weather and or other engine options. I’ve got a big ass garage, but well have to see if your truck is too tall to fit.
I hear ya on trying to afford a heavy duty truck in your situation, but it is probably one of the best vehicles for a guy like you to own. You’re just going to have to lean on your IDI buds a little more, shops a little less, and maybe run on 7 while you source some used parts. ;Sweet

But I think you will take a bath on it if you try to sell it as is, or try to part it out while your away from home and not able to do it right.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
Truck is at the shop still, they are waiting to hear from me. Well the stack is level with the top of the cab and it has 285's and a four inch lift, so if anyone could measure a stock f250 4x4 and add 5 inches that probably be about right. Thanks for the encouragement, Im very lucky to have my mom because she has been the key to me getting this far. But this scenario has even got her down :sorry: so in a nutshell the only positive info im gettin is from you guys, thanks again :hail

On edit: BTW Classes are going great, and consider the tail officially under pursuit. ;Sweet

You are right about classes and "the tail" being more important and taking up a lot of time. If I were put in your situation, I would opt to sell the truck if money is tight and get a dependable driver. If money isnt so tight still opt for the dependable till after college but keep the truck stored somewhere till you get done with school and have time to tinker with it. Oh and as long as classes are going well for you..........tell your mom not to be down about your transportation situation. That's just my 2 cents.......but its gonna cost you 4 cents. :D

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
ya, my mom is stoked about the grades and such, its just that this truck has already cost me so much $, and ive got my little toyota 4 cylinder 4x4 just sitting at my dad's ranch in california... ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm sorry you are in this situation but for your last post it seems like you can get another daily driver while you find a way to fix your truck. All are right about not to sale the truck bc you'll never get any of it back. Wish your college where closer I could help you but my advice is try to get it fix.

Regards, Exekiel.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
I could have my lil truck out here in Nov. (I will have a budy haul it out with his PSD from SoCal ;Sweet ) but that still leaves me with no place to keep my rig, let alone money to work on it. I wonder how hard it would be to just swap motors if i got a good deal on a 6.9/7.3? or if i should just advertise it as running with excessive smoke :puke: