What to do, what to do

decisions, decisions, decisions

• keep all three idi's and run a nv4500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres I believe dt466 for a grand near me. I can get the number is anyones interested in calling on it.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
I guess no one likes the nv4500 ?

I saw a conversion kit for our trucks the other day, it was something like $3500

Gheesh! I could get a whole ZF5 and T'case combo out here for alot less than that!

i think i saw the same kit. it includes the nv4500, adapter plate for the transmission, all the goodies, even an adapter ring to run the transfer case of your choice

I found this 2003 DT466 with Allison MD-3060/CR 5-Speed Auto Trans locally for $3400 out of a rolled truck... wish i had the guts/$$$ to try it.

thanks, but i'm looking for a mechanical one.

Talk is cheap. LOL

did you just call me fat??? :D

theres I believe dt466 for a grand near me. I can get the number is anyones interested in calling on it.

ouch, plus shipping would kill me.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ok here is another point to running a 12v vs a 466 in a 466 you have wet sleeves (you can remove the liners) sorry for being captian obivous
the 5.9 you wont
im thinking if you have to rebuild the motor any time all you have to do is get loaded liners and your done im not shure if ih does that i know splatterpiller does

here is another suggestion by going with the 8.3 isc cummins they also have wet sleeves too at my old job we had one in a pete that was coupled to a eaton 10 speed

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DT 360's are also wet sleeve, unlike a 6BT.

DT466 will require a strong drivetrain, and a DT360 will be pushing even the best of the light duty truck drivetrains. A Cummins is a fairly straightforward and often done swap, so parts and everything will be easier to come across, but will also be pushing everything behind it when hopped up.

Since it seems to be you want to get a nice old truck back to better than new shape, I'd say start hopping up the IDI. Balance it, get a Moose fuel system, etc. A resto-mod so to speak, build it the way Ford and IH should've built it.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wet sleeves are the way to go i think just my 2 cents anyway

The structural integrity of the block is alot better when wet sleeves are involved, so I'm going to agree with you. Although tolerances are lighter since everything is removeable without machining.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
when you going to build one that will turn more rpm then me:D

the 7.3 is being balanced out to 5000 rpm :sly i figure if the cut out is set around 4700 i should be good. i need to talk to mell about building another pump for me as well, somewhere around a 350cc output

so diesel4me2 what conclusion have u made on your next bada$$ project

i'm leaning toward something with a nv4500 trans. i'll have a more definitive answer after the holidays :D

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the 7.3 is being balanced out to 5000 rpm :sly i figure if the cut out is set around 4700 i should be good. i need to talk to mell about building another pump for me as well, somewhere around a 350cc output

i'm leaning toward something with a nv4500 trans. i'll have a more definitive answer after the holidays :D

hmmmm:D that sounds like my dream engine:sly im almost positive the bottom end will hold when i build mine im going to stud the rods and maybe even the main caps just for good measures then get it balanced for something like that too, but i just got to find out were i can get an ip that can make the fuel to power me at the rpm range, and a cam to go along with it, and i got to talking to a psd guy and he sugjested that i should lower the compression to around 16:1, the valve train needs work in these engines, so far thats the only weak link i have found and even after floating mine i still continue to run past 4000 almost everday and nothing is breaking, i would say 7.3 rockers or custome roller rockers, stud the rockers down, then valve springs that will allow me to go past 5000 if i wanted to with out the float and that motor should kick some serious ass, i hope you get an idi that will break the power limit and hold at that rpm when you get it broke in and test it please record a video of it and post it i want to see it in action;Sweet

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
if i was working reguarly and had a load of cash and lived closer id love to persway you to go with the 466 and something speed project dayum thatd be sweet but hey to each is own have fun buddy