What the heck!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I wish I was close to you. I'd be more than happy to come over and help find the issues and get this IDI started. But, I'm a Kentucky boy and NY is not exactly a short drive.LOL Man, I wish you could get this rig to the Rally. I know the collection of OB brothers would have this rig diagnosed and running in short order.

If you are not getting fuel at the filter head...... that's gotta be addressed first. It's not gonna run without air free fuel getting to the IP. I'd have a friend (or enemy whichever.....) crank the truck while you hold that schrader valve open. Keep going until you get air free fuel there. Then, crack the lines on the injectors and crank until you get fuel there. Once fuel is at the ends of the injection lines, tighten them down and it should start.

No fuel at the filter head with cranking.......... fuel pump, or no supply getting to it from the tank.
Not saying the compression isn't bad, but even with less than great compression, it should run once it is getting good air free fuel. If all else fails after getting air free fuel........ I agree with Gary....... disconnect the glow plug engine harness from the main harness, give it a shot of starting fluid and get it started. I have a feeling once it gets running it will continue to do so. But, first......... you must have good fuel supply and rid the fuel supply/return of air leaks.

Heath

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
no need for a friend.....turn on the key....hold schrader open with one hand...jump the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver with the other...screwdrivers are your friends ;)

just make sure the truck isnt in gear or is in park (for an auto)

BrotherNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Ive checked all of the lines and have come up with no leaks, cracks, or holes. I wish I and my rig had a way of heading down this weekend but i simply dont have anyone near me going. I have also heard of putting diesel in a spray bottle and misting it into the intake? I know its dangerous, just wondering.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have fuel at the schraderwhen cranking then check at the injecters. Crank for 15 sec and crack open a line at the injecter. You will see or hear the hiss of trapeed air escaping or the fuel will leak out a little. Nothing like what comes out of the schrader valve. Tighten the line nuts and crank again. Continue doing this till all the lines show fuel. About all you need to purge air from is 4 easy to reach lines. Those will be enough to fire and clear the other lines.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I always hold the pedal down while bleeding air. Also crack all lines. Crank for 10 seconds at a time. About 4-6 times. Then tighten them all. Then it usually starts right up.
I've done this with two 7.3's and a 6.2.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
slow down and take it one issue at a time, get air free fuel to the schrader, there can only be a few problems causing this, a bad lift pump, or a break in the lines previous to the lift pump, once you have this make sure there is fuel coming from the outlet on top of the ip, try to crank and see what happens, I would not suggest shooting ether into her until you have tried every other option including the block heater.

vegetabilly

Reaction score
From the info you have given I would guess that the veg oil ate the diaphragm in your lift pump and as you are cranking fuel is mixing with lube oil in the oil pan overfilling it and pooling in the valley and any where else it can get

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Man, this thread is killing me. I sure wish you lived close to someone on here, would be fixed in no time. And oil in your intake is pretty well standard procedure for an IDI. If someone knows anything about anything, they should know that you cant just "look" at an engine and tell that it's shot. Even if an IDI is "shot" it usually still runs.

BrotherNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. If someone around Buffalo NY wanted to stop over i would supply the cold ones and some food. I just need this fixed I cant have it sit in the driveway anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online