What should I be looking for in a Turbo search?

John Scott

Reaction score
I was also looking at the Banks kit last year, but following the advice of several members here I purchased a turbo and intercooler kit from one of the vendors on here instead. I placed the order on February 2nd, 2020 and was told everything would ship within a couple of weeks. I didn't receive the turbocharger until late November but couldn't install it because I didn't have the pedestal, which finally arrived just a couple of weeks ago. It'll be one year next week since I placed the order and I still don't have everything. To date between the turbo and intercooler, head studs, bigger IP and injectors, exhaust, gauges and other miscellaneous parts I've spent over $6,000 trying to put a turbo on my truck but all I have is an expensive pile of parts and studded NA **** with a junk 6.9 injector pump since I sent my original pump in for a core and can't run the big pump without the turbo and intercooler. I am not happy.
Omg thats nuts... sorry to hear that... everything wants to be blamed on covid but im not sure about all that...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey Russ, is the 093 preferred over the Ford stock? If I remember the 093 has better downpipe and a v band on up pipe rather than slip joint? Or do I have it backwards?
Well.... The Factory Turbo has the V band clamp on the down pipe, but the 093 has a much better down pipe than the stock one for a Factory Turbo. I don't believe that either one has a clamp of any kind on the up pipe though.

John Scott

Reaction score
Well.... The Factory Turbo has the V band clamp on the down pipe, but the 093 has a much better down pipe than the stock one for a Factory Turbo. I don't believe that either one has a clamp of any kind on the up pipe though.
On the one I just bought has a slip joint on both the up an the down side.. seams to fit pretty tight... I now waiting on a crossover pipe I ordered yesturday from russ.... and a oring kit... going to redu the return lines while its apart as well... this ats kit doesn't say anything about relocating the glow plug controller but I think I will anyways.... and move the oil sending unit to the top of the turbo.... if anyone has any other pro tips or suggestions while I'm moving stuff around any advice is welcome.... then from there its just a mater of connecting the exhaust to the down pipe

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Classic Diesel Designs (Thewespaul on here) sells a glow plug relocation harness. The Factory Turbo had the oil pressure sending unit on top of the turbo so it's not a bad place for yours to be.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Classic diesel designs also can sell the braided steel oil feed line that attaches from a stock port that is plugged from factory on back drivers driv of the engine to the top of your turbo if you wanted to utilize the oil pressure sender in the factory na spot and avoid messing with the stock wiring on bull and bricknoses so that your dash doesn't have a dead guage. I would still recommend a manual guage from the t on the turbo, but some still prefer their stock guage cluster to behave as it should on all their guages.

John Scott

Reaction score
Thank u for the info.... this used kit i got came with the braided steel oil feed line and the 3 inch tube down pipe .... I do want the factory gauges to work as they were intended.... im going to relocate both items if I need to I will make a extention wire for the oil sender....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave the oil sender as it is, the oil line for that turbo hooks up to the block down by the oil cooler.
I have install kits for the 088 and oil lines and whatever you may need for the turbo install.
I will email you more info.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth , i found the glowshift gauges not to be accurate . Mainly, I had issues with my pyrometer readings. I found them to be low for what I expected. I feel the thermocoupler is to blame. I had Glowshift Towmax gauges(boost,pyrometer,coolant) . I changed over to Issapro and immediately noticed the thermocoupler to be more robust and gave readings, specifically the pyrometer, that seemed more on point. Spend the money for the better gauges, money well spent!

John Scott

Reaction score
Leave the oil sender as it is, the oil line for that turbo hooks up to the block down by the oil cooler.
I have install kits for the 088 and oil lines and whatever you may need for the turbo install.
I will email you more info.
U r awesome russ.... thank u russ for all your info and help u are really a great sole

John Scott

Reaction score
Hey all.... the turbo prodject is going well... I have the turbo and up pipe down pipe feed line and valve cover with the decompression valve installed... but having trouble fingerings out how the trans dip stick tube routes is it to the top or the bottom of the down pipe??... plus I have ordered a 4 inch exhuast system from turbo back that will be in mid next week... any info will be a help

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I really don't remember since it's been almost 20 years since I've messed with one of those trucks. I do know that the Factory Turbo trucks with the E4OD used a different upper piece of the trans dipstick tube than the N/A ones did. I think that it ran beneath the down pipe, but I won't swear to it. The N/A tubes would come up right under your turbo. The ones that were used with the Factory Turbo would run along the passenger's side head and it would come up behind the heater hose that comes off of the head.

John Scott

Reaction score
I really don't remember since it's been almost 20 years since I've messed with one of those trucks. I do know that the Factory Turbo trucks with the E4OD used a different upper piece of the trans dipstick tube than the N/A ones did. I think that it ran beneath the down pipe, but I won't swear to it. The N/A tubes would come up right under your turbo. The ones that were used with the Factory Turbo would run along the passenger's side head and it would come up behind the heater hose that comes off of the head.
Thanks for the info idibronco.... whats crazy is I can see a straight line to where the dip stick tube goes from up top between the down pipe and feed pipe so I might see if I can make a tube with a small bend .... this one I got has a huge bend in it and if I take out the lower tube that goes directly into the trans it looks like this will fit and bolt to the exhuast manifold but will be real short and hard to get to to check the fluid level.... ill keep u posted...