What should I be looking for in a Turbo search?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a factory kit. There is a guy on facebook that parts these trucks out and sells used kits that lives in PA, no idea how close he is to you though. I'd see if he has anything. He usually sells them for a reasonable price and is listing them quite often.

A factory kit will get you what you want. If the used turbo needs rebuilt, you can then look into a turbo upgrade from wes or russ.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Thank you!!! Been checking all options,waiting for a little more info from Russ and he has been highly recommended on here,and extremely helpful. I would like dealing with him and I think it will work out. Still gotta check my mechanics and get the install figured out....not many old schoolers around here...lol. Again much appreciated your input...this site is so helpful for me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's a second gen Banks Sidewinder. Those are pretty good turbo kits in my opinion. At least they are as far as stock kits go. The only ones that I think are better are the ATS093/Factory Turbo kits. Obviously the poster can't read since it says "Banks Sidewinder" right on the thing.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says in the ad the banks sidewinder that is pictured isn't for sale. But he is selling an ats093 for 1000 bucks and it has a fresh turbo rebuild. If this is close to you, is legitimate, and he has paperwork for the turbo rebuild, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
It says in the ad the banks sidewinder that is pictured isn't for sale. But he is selling an ats093 for 1000 bucks and it has a fresh turbo rebuild. If this is close to you, is legitimate, and he has paperwork for the turbo rebuild, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info!!! I have ordered one from Russ in Oregon!

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
It's a second gen Banks Sidewinder. Those are pretty good turbo kits in my opinion. At least they are as far as stock kits go. The only ones that I think are better are the ATS093/Factory Turbo kits. Obviously the poster can't read since it says "Banks Sidewinder" right on the thing.

Appreciate you looking/finding this! I ordered one from Russ in Oregon!

Haulinhorse

Reaction score

John Scott

Reaction score
Hi everyone... im new to the idi... I have a 93 f350 7.3l idi and I ordered a kit from banks back before Thanksgiving and I'm still waiting on it.. they tell me there waiting on 2 parts to complete my kit and then it will ship out... hoping it will do the trick for what I'm lookn to do.. I have a 33ft gooseneck with a truck bed camper on the front and I put my rock crawler on the back totals weight is about 9k lbs... truck seams to pull it but hope after turbo goes on it will do better. . Any thoughts??...

If for some reason this banks don't pan out and I don't get the kit who is this place u got yours haulinhorse??... also the place in pa is a great group for injectors and pumps...

Thanks for any info... glad to be apart of a discussion

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my idi, I had a 7.3 with an 088 that I bought off eBay (I was lucky). I had 3.55 gears and automatic and pulled my boat my Gadsden to Huntsville, Al. Decent hills that had slow lanes for big trucks and runaway stops on the downhill sides. Slowest speed was 45 on steepest grade. My boat is close to 10k with full tank (125 gal ouch). I say all this to say night and day difference. Be sure you have good intake, exhaust, fuel properly set, timed and a pyrometer. If it had 2 more doors I’d still be driving it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!! I have ordered one from Russ in Oregon!

Good to hear. I've got no personal experience with russ, but he seems like a stand up guy, so I have no doubt that he'll take care of you.

Hi everyone... im new to the idi... I have a 93 f350 7.3l idi and I ordered a kit from banks back before Thanksgiving and I'm still waiting on it.. they tell me there waiting on 2 parts to complete my kit and then it will ship out... hoping it will do the trick for what I'm lookn to do.. I have a 33ft gooseneck with a truck bed camper on the front and I put my rock crawler on the back totals weight is about 9k lbs... truck seams to pull it but hope after turbo goes on it will do better. . Any thoughts??...

If for some reason this banks don't pan out and I don't get the kit who is this place u got yours haulinhorse??... also the place in pa is a great group for injectors and pumps...

Welcome. First, there is no comparison between the towing ability of an NA IDI vs a turbo one. So good choice on choosing a turbo, you should be pleased with the upgrade.

But, if I was in your shoes, I'd cancel my order with banks. For the record, it's not that I don't like banks, but for the 3k+ that the kit is going to cost you, you could buy a used kit with a modern turbo charger, and be money ahead. And then you could put the money you saved to a other upgrades, like a higher output pump, better injectors, intercooler, etc.

But that's just my opinion. You'll be perfectly fine with the banks kit.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score

Everyone on here has been so helpful with my turbo search. Chillman told me to send a PM to @type4 who is the Russ I have been talking about. Would not hurt to ask him...the man is well respected in this group! I am a fan!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86