What should I be looking for in a Turbo search?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Booyah45828 are the glowshift egt probes accurate? it reads about 600 degrees max pre turbo, i want to make sure i dont melt anything lol

I have no idea. I just know that at stock and NA, these trucks will run pretty hot at wide open throttle. That's why any pump adjustment is limited to a flat or two while NA, they're already near the limit.

I agree with the not wanting to melt things, but a gauge that's false is worse then no gauge at all IMO.

I see you're not the other guy that was at 600*F NA and was looking for a turbo. If you have a turbo, what boost psi are you at and are you intercooled? 600*F still seems low, but if your exhaust isn't black, then you might actually be at that.

Last edited:

John Scott

Reaction score
Mine seams to be doing good... pre turbo... still waiting on banks... I see my egt gauge go from 300 to around 700 when I pull off from a stop and down hw at 60 its reading around 350... I have the probe in the pass side about 2 inches back from flange in the side of the manifold.... vacuum gauge is around 12 to 15 in lbs at sea level....

John Scott

Reaction score
There's a company in PA called Conestoga Diesel Injection.... they do nothing but build and rebuild it pumps and injectors for these beast and this is what they say when it comes to how to determine if u need more or less fuel

The formula for diesel power has always been an easy one. Fuel + Air + timing = power. Reduce any of the three from optimum, and you will loose power. Reduce air without reducing fuel, and you will have high EGT's. Reduce fuel without reducing air, and you will not have an EGT problem, but you may not have enough power. With turbocharged engines, fuel, RPM and turbo parameters all factor into what kind of power can be had at what point in the RPM band. Timing is also critical for optimizing the combination of fuel and air. When we say air, what we are really talking about is oxygen. More boost, does not necessarily mean more oxygen. If air is highly presurized, it will get hotter. Hotter air places the oxygen molecules farther apart, and this results in a low oxygen content at say 20PSI, versus maybe 10 PSI of very dense (cold air). Vehicles that tow, generate a lot of boost when turbocharged. More oxygen is needed to burn additional fuel beyond what stock pumps provide. A combination of a heavy load, low engine RPM's and no intercooler (and low turbo boost), is a formula for high EGT's. While exhaust gas temperatures can be regulated by throttle position, it is imparative that the performance enthusiast understand the relationship of fuel and air in an engine, so that disappointment with our pumps can be avoided. Sometimes a turbocharger is unable to deliver enough boost (or volume of oxygen) even under full load and full throttle conditions. When this happens, it may be time to look at upgrading the turbocharger or intercooling. Conestoga Diesel Injection has solutions for helping you meet the challenge of adding more oxygen to your engine so the additional fuel your pump provides can be utilized. If you need additional help in selecting the right pump, feel free to call us. We are always happy to discuss your IDI concerns.

John Scott

Reaction score
Good to hear. I've got no personal experience with russ, but he seems like a stand up guy, so I have no doubt that he'll take care of you.

Welcome. First, there is no comparison between the towing ability of an NA IDI vs a turbo one. So good choice on choosing a turbo, you should be pleased with the upgrade.

But, if I was in your shoes, I'd cancel my order with banks. For the record, it's not that I don't like banks, but for the 3k+ that the kit is going to cost you, you could buy a used kit with a modern turbo charger, and be money ahead. And then you could put the money you saved to a other upgrades, like a higher output pump, better injectors, intercooler, etc.

But that's just my opinion. You'll be perfectly fine with the banks kit.

Ok so update on my situation..... banks has dropped the ball and now saying they need yet another 4 weeks to get there stuff together so I have canceled the order... still need a turbo kit... im not on Facebook but have friends who r... anyone know of a kit for sale or where now to get one and whats the best one to get... thanks for any Info

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are guys on here who could source you a used/rebuilt turbo kit. @typ4 is one, @Thewespaul is another. This site, and many others have classified sections that people will post kits in.

There are also upgrades available for the kits, maybe you can talk to one of the guys and get a factory kit with the better turbos/up pipes, etc.

John Scott

Reaction score
There are guys on here who could source you a used/rebuilt turbo kit. @typ4 is one, @Thewespaul is another. This site, and many others have classified sections that people will post kits in.

There are also upgrades available for the kits, maybe you can talk to one of the guys and get a factory kit with the better turbos/up pipes, etc.
Thank u booyah.... I keep everyone posted on my progress....

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also looking at the Banks kit last year, but following the advice of several members here I purchased a turbo and intercooler kit from one of the vendors on here instead. I placed the order on February 2nd, 2020 and was told everything would ship within a couple of weeks. I didn't receive the turbocharger until late November but couldn't install it because I didn't have the pedestal, which finally arrived just a couple of weeks ago. It'll be one year next week since I placed the order and I still don't have everything. To date between the turbo and intercooler, head studs, bigger IP and injectors, exhaust, gauges and other miscellaneous parts I've spent over $6,000 trying to put a turbo on my truck but all I have is an expensive pile of parts and studded NA **** with a junk 6.9 injector pump since I sent my original pump in for a core and can't run the big pump without the turbo and intercooler. I am not happy.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. It seems you need resolution with the vendor. I’m sure you’ve followed up. I hope it gets solved soon.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Russ, is the 093 preferred over the Ford stock? If I remember the 093 has better downpipe and a v band on up pipe rather than slip joint? Or do I have it backwards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online