What is the thing on the drivers side of the IP?

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the plastic thing on the drivers side of the injection pump that has two good sized vacuum hosed going to it. It is broken to pieces on my recently acquired truck. The truck is a 1988 F-250 4X4 and a C-6 transmission. I think it makes the transmission do something, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks

akoldnav

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, it's the transmission vacuum modulator. I believe that it's what controls the transmission shift points based on how much throttle's being used (as opposed to the kickdown rod which automatically downshifts one gear if you floor the pedal).

I could be wrong, though; I've never dealt with one...my old van never had any tranny shifting issues, and my truck's always had a manual (and therefore doesn't have the part at all).

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep Tim your right it controlls the shift points.

akoldnav - bad thing is them aint cheap... Go junk yard diving to see if you can come up with another one. Or contact OldMisterBill on here to see if he has one in his stock pile of parts.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, just put one on my truck (not to long ago)..got it from FORD $$$
But it's like night and day how sweet my trans shifts now ;Sweet
My original unit must have been bad for a loooooong time!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't the vacuum modulator, but it sends the vacuum signal to the modulator. Gassers use vacuum level to tell the trans how much the throttle is opened. Since our diesels don't have a throttle, Ford uses this gizmo to vary a vacuum signal based on how far the throttle is opened. Without it, the trans sees no vacuum, and thinks the engine is at WOT, with high, hard shifts.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen. I guess I must start looking for one of these things. Does anybody have a part number or an actual Ford part name for this thing? Up here salvage yards are not very plentiful for diesel parts.

Thanks

akoldnav

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I just called OldMisterBill for ya. He said he used to take them apart and fix them. You could try it. He said to give you his email address and phone # or to get your ph # and he'd call you. He also said the part from FORD, a while back, was $56.00. So, look for a PM from me in a few minutes. OkieGringo

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have one.Pay shipping and it is yours.It is a poorly built varible vacume regulator.It has to be in good condition or your C6 won't shift as good as it should.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see you post Bill. Hang in there. If it's any consolation, the wife has me on a new diet. Cottage cheese and mellon for breakfast. :puke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online