What is the Best 7.3?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am looking to possibly upgrade my truck to something newer. I am curious what the masses think the best year from 99 to 2003 is. I am really only considering the 7.3 diesel and nothing newer.

What is the best and why?

What is the trans to have for MPG?

Is the auto trans a weak point or nothing to worry about?

Thanks
Thad

I am making a 500+ mile trip home and may get a newer truck while I am there....

dalton505per

Reaction score
in some cases I have seen an 02-03 trucks having the forged rods but few and far between I have a good article on inspecting the rods with the oil pan and engine installed. The transmission is a weak link in these trucks if you are looking to upgrade the engine. The 5r110 is the best transmission on the stock market. but there are a few simple upgrades that you can do to make the 4r100 handle more power!!!

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uhh how about a 97 f350 federal emissions stick shift, no junk on it like the newer trucks.

i dont really agree with getting good mileage out of these tough. thats not what a truck is for :)

Last edited:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine didn't, oops. easy fix not like egrs way to many computer controlled junk etc

wpfd571

Reaction score
i dont really agree with getting good mileage out of these tough. thats now what a truck is for :)[/QUOTE]

Huh?? My 03 7.3 gets around 17mpg, i dont drive it like i stole it but im not easy on it eather. I dont think thats to bad for a crew cab 4x4 that can tow or haul most anything i want

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17mpg is nice. But no matter what, i still don't expect to ever get above 12 mpg in a truck, if i do great although im pretty sure my injectors are shot. Ive never gotten above 12mpg in my truck and its in the best shape of any old body Ive ever seen, so who knows maybe its the injectors killing me. Too bad their way overpriced.

DMcV

Reaction score
transmission upgrade?

in some cases I have seen an 02-03 trucks having the forged rods but few and far between I have a good article on inspecting the rods with the oil pan and engine installed. The transmission is a weak link in these trucks if you are looking to upgrade the engine. The 5r110 is the best transmission on the stock market. but there are a few simple upgrades that you can do to make the 4r100 handle more power!!!

I'm love'n my 7.3 but I'm worried about the tranny being weak.
How can I tell what tranny (4r100 -or-5r110) I have ?
Also what 'upgrades' are recommended, for towing a 5th wheel ?
I searched for 'shift kits' found nothing in the files here. :dunno
Thanks
Dennis

nevrknow

Reaction score
The 4r100 shift kit is just some springs and a valve for the valve body. Take you 20 minutes to pop it in, tops. I love mine. Firmed up my shifts.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
DMcV,

Since you have a 2000 with a 7.3, if it is an automatic, it would be a 4r100. The 5r110 or market name Torqshift 5 speed auto did not come along until 2003 with the introduction of the 6.0L. I have not driven a 4r100 equipped PSD, but reading the descriptions of how they behave, there is a night and day difference between the 4r100 and the 5r110. The 5r110 is a very solid unit, that is designed as a towing transmission. It does not have a O/D Off button like the 4r100 but a Tow/Haul Mode button. It still uses all 5 gears, it also firms up the shifts, and holds them out longer, it keeps the TC enguaged more, and disables the Coast Clutch so that you have some engine braking. The 6.0 and 5r110 are and awesome towing package (in my opinion).

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I'm love'n my 7.3 but I'm worried about the tranny being weak.
How can I tell what tranny (4r100 -or-5r110) I have ?
Also what 'upgrades' are recommended, for towing a 5th wheel ?
I searched for 'shift kits' found nothing in the files here. :dunno
Thanks
Dennis

Trans Go Tugger kit. Do the pump mods too. They come with the Tugger kit. Another thing to change,if you do the pump mods is the pump seal. This would be Precision #16601EV. This seal will not blow out like the gray stock seal.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Its been a while since I posted but I had an 03 7.3 that I did alot of work too. It was trouble from day one only because I made the mistake of buying online & was sorta stuck when I got down to TX to pick it up. Add to that, I started adding power enhancements before properly diagnosing & fixing all that was wrong & had a catastrophic failure because of it.

Thats not to say it was a bad truck, motor or tranny. I never dynoed my truck but I'm pretty certain i was over the 300-350 hp mark. PMR's are a ***** if something else goes wrong. My rod let go because of another internal failure & destroyed the block, still my fault tho for not catching the problem eariler. Any 7.3 is a stout motor in my opionion, just depends how well you take care of it before & after powermods are thrown into the mix.

As for the tranny, I towed a 38' fiver with the 4r100 & had no issues whatsoever. Now, I did have it rebuild with a billet TC, mild shift kit & the tugger kit (local cost for rebuild was about 1800.00) & I added the 6.0 tranny cooler which brought my towing temps down to 160-180* due to the increased fluid capacity.

I was getting about 19mpg empty & 13-15 towing. I wish I was getting that outta my 97 now but I'm doing this one right & taking my time. Learned an expensive lesson on the last go-round. I'll get there again. Good luck with your purchase.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
my 7.3 4R100 treats me well. the early '99 is kind of a ******* child, with some different intake and front end parts than the later 7.3s. for that reason i might try to avoid it. the fuel mileage sucks (9-11 towing and 11-13 empty with the occasional 15) but there is no truck payment so i live with it. mine has 194k on it so i am probably due for injectors. the trans does shift mushy, so i adjust my driving style, letting off the pedal a bit while during the shifts and gunning it when the trans is fully in gear and the TC is locked. it still impresses my buddies (who drive gassers) with its towing and hauling abilities. (at least 2/3 of the miles i drive are towing 5000-7000 lbs.) the newer diesels will walk all over it, but i can deal with that.

i took an '08 for a ride and couldn't find anything i liked more about it than mine (other than the quietness of the V10 :sly). next time around if i stick with diesel, i'll look for a rust-free crew cab long bed 7.3 SD. mine is stock and has enough power for me, so PMRs aren't a problem. i will be upgrading the trans with a better converter and shift kit though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk