What I learned.....

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from taking the glow plugs out of my truck...

I learned that Champion brand glow plugs swell..... #7 cylinder. LOL AC Bosch autolite and (of course) beru were OK,

Learned that the PO never replaced all the glow plugs. 5 different kinds in the engine. :mad:

Learned that Stress is a bad thing. GP broke in #7 (half of the stickout length. haven't got it out yet. has not fallen into the engine yet, stuck in the hole.) :mad:

Learned that my CDR may need cleaned, since #7 must have ran hot to balloon the GP.

Learned that i may be better off with a RDT than a CDR.

Realized that I have to learn the vacuum trick to get the broken GP out.

Learned that i do not own a socket big enough to get an injector out. :mad:

Learned that the only plug working in my truck was a Bosch.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size are the injectors, the big nut, I know the lines are 5/8. Gonna go buy a socket today. Are GP tips magnetic? will they stick to a magnet?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna say 1", but you would rather check that first.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am not sure. I had a bag of burnt out ones but I am undure of where it is right now so I can check. As soon as I find it I will try it and let you know.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K, Now I gotta make sure i have a socket to turn the crankshaft. Anybody know the size?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!, I got it turned over to bring #7 to TDC on the compression stroke, put the vacuum on it and poked the tip down into the head:eek: It didn't come out.

I really couldn't get the vacuum nozzle in the injector hole very good at all, so I'm going to modify a transmission funnel to get down in there further and get my blow gun in the GP hole and see if i can upset it enough to come out.

So right now, I'm not totally screwed, as i did bring the cylinder to TDC so it's not in the cylinder exactly ( I think).

I just know If i tried to pass it, I would end up with lots of carnage in the oil pan, so, I'm not gonna do that at all. I'll work on pullin the head before I start it again. At least it's on the passenger side where i've already replace the exhaust manifold, so i know the bolts will come out ok and not have to burn the heads off again.

Last edited:

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, gotta question, if I do have to pull the head, and if I don't upset the head gasket, do i still have to replace it?

Say i loosen the head bolts, pull the head up 4 or 5 inches, and hold it there, have my son with small hands reach into the cylinder and pick out the tip,then gently set the head back down, will it reseal?